F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Just bought an F4i - Some quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Just bought an F4i - Some quick questions

Hello guys, i'm at last a happy owner of a 2001 f4i.
I bought it five days ago and its in pretty bad shape.
It was imported in 2007 and it has about 30k kilometers (could be more).
I started by changing oil/filter which the previous owner had used for about 7-8k kms. used 3.3L of Castrol actevo 20W50 (i live in Greece so the temps are pretty high usually).

So next i'm gonna order some set of brake pads. I found sumo brakes on ebay for ~$50 (carbon kevlar mix), i hope they are ok.

I also need to either fix or change the front cowl which is chipped and cracked on the upper right corner, some centimeters lower from the last fairing mount screw. What would you recommend? I'm considering a chinese kit from ebay in the future, OEMs are pretty expensive.

The headlight glass is mildly scratched and in not good shape, should i fix it with some headlight kit restore or replace it with a new one? Are the chinese assemblies on ebay any good?

Keylock on ignition won't lock the handlebar, tank lock is changed, seat lock is broken too. I'll buy a new set from ebay but will it fix the handlebar lock issue? how can i see if something is broken if its not the current lock problem? Will i have any HISS issue by changing the ignition lock?

On the right grip there are two wires that aren't connected anywhere, killswitch works, alarm signal system works, ignition works too so what the hell is it for???????

Finally, the tank is considerably scratched and i'll be looking for either repairing or getting a new one. I have to ask though, is RR's tank compatible? i guess it isn't, the chinese fairing kit vendors won't include the tank shell, i don't know why but in the RR's kits its included.
Please advice

Here's a pic of the bike, thanks in advance!

Old 03-02-2013, 04:39 PM

Congrats on the bike, to lock the bars they need to be turned all the way left or right
to lock them, and the wires on the right might be to the brake lever switch for the
brake light. Does the brake light come on when you pull the leaver?

Old 03-03-2013, 07:56 AM

Thanks
key won't turn more to lock the bars (positioned either left or right). I guess something got damaged....
Hmm, never thought of the stop light, you are probably right i'll check it later and post back!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the tank on an RR is totally different.. the F4i has a steel tank that is actually a tank.. one piece.. the RR has a tank underneath teh cosmetic plastic cover.. thats why RR fairing kits come with 'the tank' but its not really the gas tank..