F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

fork / alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fork / alignment questions

Okay, so my forks were bent. I knew this because the tires wore off center, the front axel wouldn't slide in very easy, and when I let go of the handlebars it would drift to the right.

So... I got new forks and installed them today. I took it for a test ride and now it drifts off to the left when I let go. I couldn't help but find this funny but I have a few questions.

I'm thinking that maybe the bike is now drifting left because the front tire was worn so much with the bike wanting to go right for so long... what do you think? And I'm thinking this will eventually correct itself or when I get a new front tire.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by DBEAU
Okay, so my forks were bent. I knew this because the tires wore off center, the front axel wouldn't slide in very easy, and when I let go of the handlebars it would drift to the right.

So... I got new forks and installed them today. I took it for a test ride and now it drifts off to the left when I let go. I couldn't help but find this funny but I have a few questions.

I'm thinking that maybe the bike is now drifting left because the front tire was worn so much with the bike wanting to go right for so long... what do you think? And I'm thinking this will eventually correct itself or when I get a new front tire.
Is the tire visually worn on one side? Probably so. Are the forks at equal distances in the triple tree? If so, replacing the tire should fix the problem.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:06 AM

Yes, the front tire is worn quite a bit more on one side. The forks are also at equal length in the triples.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 PM

if the tire is visually worn i'd replace it first and see where you stand
after that i'd check the triple clamp to steering stem alignment

Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by bwayers
if the tire is visually worn i'd replace it first and see where you stand
after that i'd check the triple clamp to steering stem alignment
I agree. X2

Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Update: So I finally put a new tire on and she rides right as rain! I'm pretty excited about it because ever since i bought the dang thing it had bent forks and drove crooked.

Anyway, I'm quite astonished at how much of a difference an oddly worn front tire can make. Not to mention how much of a diffrence you feel when you put new tires on. You almost forget what you're missing after you put a few thousand on a tire.

Old 09-16-2009, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by DBEAU
Anyway, I'm quite astonished at how much of a difference an oddly worn front tire can make.
Haha well yeah!!!! Trying grinding half the tread of your shoe's off at an angle and see how straight you walk!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:03 PM

Ohhh yea, the tires make a huge difference, it's can almost be compared to a brand new bike. When I bought mine, she had bald as hell tires. Those tires caused me to meet the ground once. A car made a quick stop in front of me, I didn't have the handlebars straight... split of a second, I'm looking at my bike sliding on the ground. I simply locked the front wheel.

So, good tires is a must on any bikes!