General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fork alignment questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork alignment questions

There are a couple of images that will give you an idea of the degree that my front is off.

http://www.rwlabs.com/ram/CBR/IMG_9949.JPG

http://www.rwlabs.com/ram/CBR/IMG_9950.JPG

The images are a little over 3 megs each so you might have to wait a little bit to see them

Anyhow, the front triple tree and handle bars are lined up straight in both images. As you can see the front wheel is way off. The fork length is correct also.

The bike was low sided at a slow speed before I picked it up but I don't think that the forks are bent.

Is it possible that the upper and lower triple tree are out of alignment? I haven't ever needed to mess with forks on any of my bikes so this is a new area for me.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Default RE: Fork alignment questions

yes they are probably misaligned. the easiest way to align them is to loosen the upper and lower triple tree bolts, then hold the wheel in between your legs and turn the bars. this will cause the top of the steering to turn while the bottom stays put, letting you align your wheel. just torque the triples back after your done and take it for a test ride. if its still a little off, just repeat.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 PM

Sounds good. I will give that a shot.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Banned

That's not going to help, you're forks are what we call, "twisted."

Aside from getting them professionally straightened or replacing them - you're other option is to rest your bike against a tree and kick the **** out of the front wheel until it's straight. Take your fender off.

Ever had that happen to your bicycle? The fix is the same. Might want to check neck bearings after you're finished and make sure everything is nice and smooth.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:31 AM
Banned

FYI, if the forks are in the triple clamp, and the axle and wheel are in place - it's impossible for your forks to be, "misaligned." If the front wheel is off it's due to twisted forks/bent neck/triple.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:48 AM

There's nothing "twisted physically", your triples are just fighting each other from being jarred after that low side. What you'll want to do is a combo of what was mentioned.

-First bring your bike to something that is rigid enough that your can slam your front tire into it in a turning motion (telephone pole, smaller tree...)

-Second is to loosen the Lower triple only!*Not like your going to be taking the bolt out, just enough so that the lower triple will move into alignment when you swing your front tire against a hard object. Once you think you have it in place, tighten it up (about 30ft/lb I think...it's only alum) and take it for a spin. You may have to repeat a few times to get it right but it will be well worth it.

*(If you loosen up both upper and lower, your forks will slide up thru the triples and the bike will slide down...not good/fun)

~Adam

Old 04-16-2008, 09:55 PM

the problem is that your top triple tree and bottom triple tree arent aligned. im use to doing mine on a triple stand, so thats why i loosen both. it also helps to loosen the top steering stem nut if you need to (again only if you have a stand). i have never had to hit mine against anything to straighten it out, i can just hold it between my legs and twist the bars...... i believe if you loosen the top and the bottom triple tree and the steering stem nut, and then tighten the top triple tree first (17 lbs/ft), then the bottom (29 lbs/ft), then the nut (76 lbs/ft), it is suppose to align itself from the torque value of the nut

Old 04-17-2008, 01:53 AM

what you should do is loosen up the triple clamps, slide the forks down about an inch and feel for a bend, or a crease where they were mounted previously at the lower triple clamp. If you feel a crease then you have a bent fork and need to replace the slider tube. If not, then loosen front axle and pinch bolts for axle, loosen steering head nut above the top triple, and loosen the triple clamps and try to get it straight. IF it doesn't work and you know forks are straight, then you might have a bent lower triple clamp assembly. Some of the few things you can do to check it out.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:19 AM

I have mine misalligned slightly to the left, so my handlebars are kicked slightly to the right. I was debating replacing the forks, but it is very slight, due to the previous owner laying it down. I might try what you said about slamming it against something rigid. It can't hurt, and the degree to which the fork is misalligned is slight. There was a lso a little bit of bending on the right footpeg (not the right foot brake). Any ideas where i can pick up a new right foot peg to replace the one i have. I never really see them for sale on ebay =[

Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I learned a lot!

After taking the front apart I learned that the left side fork tube is bent right under the lower triple tree. Its location made it hard to see until everything was removed.

From everything I learned I would suggest that everyone who has a problem with their alignment google a fork alignment tool. I found one here for less than 35 Dollars. http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id/2748

Quick Reply: Fork alignment questions