CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

87 front fork & tire alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 front fork & tire alignment

87 MK1 , so today i put my new tires on rode off fine but after a lil bit i notice a slight wobble in the front . So after a 15 min ride i pulled over and notice that my tire did not exactly line up with the front fender. Also notice befor i changed the tires that my ignition key didnt line up with the gauges . When lined up the tire is off center .when tire is straight the ignition key is slightly over to the left . Not sure if its the rim or the forks . I didnt feel the wobble befor becuz im pretty sure the tire formed and the wobble disappeared

Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya need to loosen up all fork clamps top and bottom of the triple T and line up properly

Sounds like they are twisted slightly

Old 07-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Registered Users

thanks sprock for the quick responce but heres a pic . this is how it looks like when everything is striaght at the handle bars and ignition. just wanted to show befor i go at it and also to show what i mean

Attached Thumbnails 87 front fork & tire alignment-imag0121.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered Users

Just a theory..could it be on back words ? As the previous owner did a lot of his own work and probly screwed up and put it on wrong ? Just sayin ...I'm no tire expert

Old 07-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by EpicLife
Just a theory..could it be on back words ? As the previous owner did a lot of his own work and probly screwed up and put it on wrong ? Just sayin ...I'm no tire expert

That wouldn't result in misalignment. The tyre should have an arrow on the sidewall indicating (preferred ) direction of rotation.

I believe Sprock's answer is the correct one. It may be that the forks have moved slightly in the triple tree clamps if they were not tight enough. Make sure the top of each fork is the same height, and if needs be, loosen off all the clamps (having the bike solidly supported so it doesn't crash to the ground), align the triple trees, fork height and retighten.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-12-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered Users

just another question .. the tire is alot more to the left side of the fender towards the front and right side towards the back is closer also .kinda looks like this l\l .not so dramatic but just slightly , just enought so i could see just a it of rim. could it be that the rim itself is twisted ?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by EpicLife
just another question .. the tire is alot more to the left side of the fender towards the front and right side towards the back is closer also .kinda looks like this l\l .not so dramatic but just slightly , just enought so i could see just a it of rim. could it be that the rim itself is twisted ?
Unlikely - roll the bike forward carefully, looking at the rim. You'd see/feel a bend in the rim. Still most likely an alignment issue.

Cheers, SB

Old 07-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost looks like the spacers on the axle were put on incorrectly.
I see what you're talking about...how the fender is off-set to the tire.
I'm just speculating, since I'm not sure if they are 'handed' on that model.

Also, Sprock sort of got ahead of himself. Only loosen the bottom clamps
(on the tripples). If you loosen both sets (without supporting the bikes front-end),
it will slide down the tubes. Then it's a hassle to get it back off it's 'knees'.
After you loosen the lowers, get on the bike, grab the brakes and pump the front-end.
Often, that's all you need to do, to re-align the axle to the bars. Then, re-tighten the
lower clamps.

If that doesn't do the job, have a buddy hold the tire, while you torque the bars,
(after re-loosening the lower tripple clamps). Give it the MK-1 eyeball, and then
cinch it all back down when you've achieved proper alignment.

Hope this gives you a couple of avenues to explore, Ern

Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope I meant loosen all of them with bike jacked and supported
Take the rim off put the axle back in and double check everything
is symmetric eyeballing the forks down from the top .

Also Ern is right - it would appear the spacers are on wrong

Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered Users

honestly .. i dont even know how u guys can even make that out from the pic but ill try the triple tree first and then ill see was up with the wheel spacing after that doesnt solve the problem.

Quick Reply: 87 front fork & tire alignment