F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4i Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Justa note:
In the U.S. federal regulations allow speedometers to have a margin of error of +-10% @50 MPH. Assuming that margin of error is constant across all speeds, a speedometer reading of 165 MPH could be a minimum of 149 MPH or a maximum 184 MPH actual.

It's why most cops do not bother with +5 MPH over the limit. A person can successfully argue their speedometer read 55 MPH. GPS tracking is both and less accurate depending on satnav lock strength. My BMW has GPS trip tracking. It has also reported me going as slow as 5 MPH on open highway before

I wouldn't worry too much about top speed. My BMW is faster than your f4i and both bikes go fast enough to kill us painlessly

Last edited by Kuroshio; 03-26-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Justa note:
In the U.S. federal regulations allow speedometers to have a margin of error of +-10% @50 MPH. Assuming that margin of error is constant across all speeds, a speedometer reading of 165 MPH could be a minimum of 149 MPH or a maximum 184 MPH actual.

It's why most cops do not bother with +5 MPH over the limit. A person can successfully argue their speedometer read 55 MPH. GPS tracking is both and less accurate depending on satnav lock strength. My BMW has GPS trip tracking. It has also reported me going as slow as 5 MPH on open highway before

I wouldn't worry too much about top speed. My BMW is faster than your f4i and both bikes go fast enough to kill us painlessly
Just curious, what BMW you got? (No, I dont wanna race, just curious to see why i beat an SL63 AMG the other night from a 3rd Gear roll, and it definitively aint the driver. lol)

Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by highercal
Just curious, what BMW you got? (No, I dont wanna race, just curious to see why i beat an SL63 AMG the other night from a 3rd Gear roll, and it definitively aint the driver. lol)
Umm... this one
Name:  IMAG0136-1.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  70.3 KB

Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM

Umm... this one

I am totally jealous of you. lmao. That bike is literally unstoppable.

This speaks for itself (Skip to about 3:45):

S1000RR vs Corvette 700HP - YouTube

Old 03-26-2012, 07:53 PM

Lol was a bit of a sidebar there but there's an actual point behind this

There's another s1k that'll utterly demolish mine (and since it runs a 8.93 1/4 mile @162 MPH, prolly everything else on the road). But the reality is most of us don't have anywhere to max out our bikes. Top speed is essentially irrelevant. Can't do it at the track or in the twisties cause we'll HAVE to slow down before the next turn or die. The s1k I mentioned is a drag bike and the run is over before he gets anywhere near topping out.

Once you get into the 600cc class, top speed is something you might see occasionally. Rarely ever legally. And many, including myself, just don't have the stones to even look at top speed. Not that it's really necessary.

I actually got stuck behind a 'busa one afternoon. It sounded like he was wringing the chit out of it. And i was barely giving Yolie 1/4th throttle

Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 PM

I've seen 156 on the speedomter twice and that's pretty much as far as I wanted to take it. I hit redline in 5th and shifted to 6th then began slowing down. Both times were on an open highway near my house, rural area. But I regularly see about 120-130 on the public roads around here. No traffic and semi wide open area's makes it pretty easy to open the throttle every now and again. I don't condone it by any means but as long as I don't injure anyone else I'll gladly die doing something I love. Not that I have a death wish but I've come to terms with it. Still practice ATGATT but I've gotten over the fear. I'm sure after my first real fall I'll snap back into reality but I have an adrenaline addiction for fast things. But just the other day I did catch a little bit of air at around 120 and that was a new experience.

Last edited by Kevwa451; 03-26-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:16 PM

haha I assure you if I had access to a s1kR I would top it out. Theres a decent highway for that around here. Question is can it hit 200mph?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:43 PM

No offence but I wish was writing in the s1krr forum instead, drool!
(must remember to put lottery ticket on)

I didn't get a bike for the scenery, sorry to say, I know I should know better at 31 but hey ho. Started with an R125 for 8months before I moved on to 'The Beast', my 2002 CBR600F-sport (uk split seat model), stock with crash bungs and double bubble.

Didn't take long before I took her out one late afternoon to push her for speed.
Reached 140mph on the way out and thought that was enough for now.
On the way back though, I recognised a nice straight and went for it again.
Seemed to not want to go over 159mph and then I notice a long bend coming up and thought better of it, and that was the point I realised I need some stomp grips I rolled off lol

For the record, the bike had only just cleared 8k miles, had a full Honda service history and is just starting to get a little CCTL rattle now at 9.5k miles. I weigh just over 13stone and am 6ft tall.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:41 PM

05 F4i and I'm 6'3" 200lbs max speed 155 on highway holding throttle all the way open for about 3 miles.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Justa note:
In the U.S. federal regulations allow speedometers to have a margin of error of +-10% @50 MPH.
True story. I have a Honda Civic and it seems like I am always passing cars when I am doing a typical +4 over the speed limit.

However, on my F4i, it seems like I am struggling to keep pace with traffic speeds when I am going the speed limit on major roads. This would suggest that my speedo is pretty ambitious.

Back on topic... I was on a back road that appeared pretty smooth and no cars in sight so I gave it a good wack and got to about 125 on the speedo before reaching the base of a hill. I would guess somewhere around 110 actual but to be honest, I'm pretty scared of going any faster than that on a deserted back road, let alone a public road.

Quick Reply: F4i Top Speed