F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cold start sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold start sensor

Hi there people, Scrapman from bonnie Scotland here.
As I live in a rather cold and wet part of the world i am having a bit of difficulty starting my bike at times.
As far as I can tell I am having problems with the cold start sensor as the bike runs on low revs from start even on the coldest days.
I am a mechanic to trade so feel free to explain any experience you may have had with this problem.
Can anyone tell me where the sensor is located or a rough price guide on one/

I am a moderator on a CBR600 forum here in the UK and I too get a bit pissed that people only join us to ask a techie question then bugger off into the distance as soon as they have the required info.
I will apologies now [sm=bustedsign.gif][sm=imsorry.gif]

Old 08-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Default RE: Cold start sensor

You might have a look a the coolant temperature sensor. The computer looks at the voltage signal from it to determine if the engine is cool enough to need cold-start enrichment. Once it warms up, it should lean out and go into closed loop mode. If your sensor is returning a falsely high voltage, the computer will think the engine is always warm.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:55 PM

do you know were that sensor is located?

Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Thank you for the swift reply 65ShelbyClone.
As alexr40 said, any idea of location?
My father owns an "End of Life Vehicle Dismantlers /Processors" and we occasional have bikes breaking, would be handy to find one of these before I go removing my own panels for the hundredth time[sm=smiley7.gif]

Old 08-29-2007, 12:45 AM

There are links floating around on these forums for downloadable serice manuals in Acrobat format. A quick search will turn them up, but I'll throw out a freebie and say that the ECT is under the center of the throttle bodies below the large coolant hose. It screws into the thermostat housing. You'll see a 3-wire plug facing the clutch side of the engine(right side when sitting on bike).

EDIT: Check resistance between the sensor terminals that correspond to the pink wire and green/orange wire. At 20C/68F it should be 2.3-2.6k ohms. The resistance going up as temerature goes down.

You can also make sure it's getting the proper 5v signla from the ECU by turning on the key and measuring the voltage between the pink/white wire(+) and chassis ground(-). It should be between 4.75 and 5.25v

Old 08-29-2007, 11:37 AM

Nice one ShelbyClone thats a cyber beer I owe ya [sm=alcoholic.gif]
The engine management light on the dash flashes when this problem occurs.
The sequence of flashes tells me there is or could be an ECU problem but I'm pretty sure its the sensor mentioned in my first post and thats actually giving a bad reading to the ECU.
I'll look into this a bit deeper come the weekend, far to much bloody work to do at the moment.

You were very quick in resonding to my question, I like that.
We try to do the same in our CBR600 forum here in the UK.
First post and a good experience, think I'll have a look around and maybe spend a bit of time if yaz don't mind? [sm=smiley20.gif]
Thanks again buddy [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 08-29-2007, 04:36 PM

You just caught me at a good time. I like the EFI and electronics questions because many people find those systems intimidating. I used to be scared to death of electrical and electronic systems, but then figured out how they work.