F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Help / Advice needed for a broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another piece of advice, to prevent things like this happening in the future, is to be sure you're using a torque wrench rated for the range you're needing.
For example, a particular torque wrench could be rated for, let's say, 50 ft. lb. to 250 ft. lb., so it would not have accuracy at the lower torque vaules you would need for bolts of this size/type, furthermore, cheap-o torque wrenches, like those from Harbor Freight, will have those lower values on the dial, making one think it should/could be used for those values, but it most definitely should not.

The truth is, when it comes to torque wrenches, it's better to use a good, reputable brand, like, MAC, Craftsmen, Snap-On, etc.... they are pricier, for sure, but this is a place where you just can't skimp!

Glad you got it out, relatively painlessly!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
Be careful when retorqueing bolts. I installed new front brake pads and when retorqueing the caliper bolts, I was doing it slow and easy and noticed that the bolt was getting easier to torque instead of harder. So I stopped immediately and took it out. The bolt was getting ready to break. It was skinny in the middle where it was stretching. So I replaced all four caliper bolts and saved 3 of the old ones for an emergency.
@ coalminer frank: Will definitely be keeping a closer eye on the torque specs and these bolts and getting a few extra.

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Another piece of advice, to prevent things like this happening in the future, is to be sure you're using a torque wrench rated for the range you're needing.... The truth is, when it comes to torque wrenches, it's better to use a good, reputable brand, like, MAC, Craftsmen, Snap-On, etc.... they are pricier, for sure, but this is a place where you just can't skimp!

Glad you got it out, relatively painlessly!
@JNSRacing; you definitely hit the nail on the head with respect to crap torque wrenches as I believe that is what I ran into yesterday. I'm only a backyard mechanic wannabe and it's hard to justify the upfront costs until you get into something like this. Or you have a friend that you can mooch off of which is pretty much the case for me :0)

Good advice all around.

I even managed to replace my levers (originals seemed like they were welded to the set screw) so it was a better day ending than I would could have imagined.
All I need now is some new fairings and an exhaust (more like a nice to have than a 'need') and I'm almost good to go.

Thanks for the feedback.
J