F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Oil Galley Modification?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Galley Modification?

Any of you ever seen the oil galley modification on the F2 or F3 engine, to get more oil to the middle 2 rods? I saw it somewhere on the worldwideweb once and havent been able to find it again. Do any one think this is a worthwhile modification.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard of that as well, but couldn't tell you when/where I did.

I can't say that I personally know of any data at all, that would support this as a worthwhile thing to do, in other words, if I knew of a given number of engine failures, where a significant percentage of those failures were due to the middle cylinder's rods, I would likely pursue this information, but I virtually have not spoken to one single person who has had an F2 engine failure at all, or have talked to anyone just doing a refresh, and noting a disparity between rod/journal/cap wear on the outer cylinders, versus the inner cylinders.

With the quantity of F2s out there, even ones with some degree of neglect, that are not only still going, but still going STRONG, I would say that this truth pretty much answer sthe question for me, but with that said, if I were rebuilding a motor anyway, and found good, solid information about this mod, who knows, maybe I would do it to increase engine life even further?

Anyway, there are quite a few guys out there who have been racing the F2/F3 in vintage classes for quite a few years, that have likely rebuilt/refreshed these motors several times, or knows of others that have, maybe one of these fellows will chime in... Duck62, KMC, what think ye?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:14 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you talking about this frank?? sorry jns now you know of one..lol but this is so rare and i cant tell you how many F2 engines i had opened up and some with 80k+ through out the years and this is the only one iv seen...this was an early 1991 49 state... i would not worry much about it..as all of you already know the F2 engine is just about indestructible...

Attached Thumbnails Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-091.jpg   Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-092.jpg   Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-093.jpg   Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-101.jpg   Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-099.jpg  

Old 11-04-2013, 08:19 PM
July 2013 ROTM

a few more

Attached Thumbnails Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-098.jpg   Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-101.jpg   Oil Galley Modification?-blown-f2-motor-096.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Meh, it's not like there are any big holes in the block, or anything, a little JB Weld, put the rods in a vise and hammer 'em straight, straight enough anyway, and just hit the journals with some emery cloth, and you're back in business!!

Seriously though, crap, that's a boat anchor! I'm bettin' there was some real neglect on the part of that owner.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Welcome Crew
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was more then neglect there! Wow. I got mine with 32k on the clock, low oil, carbs a foul, plugs looked like they have been in there since 96 and all kinds of crap. Lil maintainence and she runs like a top. I wouldnt worry about oil delivery modification unless your doing something extreme like turboing or what not. These engines are tanks!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
July 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Meh, it's not like there are any big holes in the block, or anything, a little JB Weld, put the rods in a vise and hammer 'em straight, straight enough anyway, and just hit the journals with some emery cloth, and you're back in business!!

Seriously though, crap, that's a boat anchor! I'm bettin' there was some real neglect on the part of that owner.
lollol

Old 11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
July 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing

yea there was...when i asked him about the service records he was like ...service???...ohh...

Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM
July 2013 ROTM

im sure we have all sene this in sport rider but if not then here is a little cap from dan kyle on how tough the F2/F3 engine was..

order to get some feedback on the Honda CBR from an AMA-level race team we talked to Dan Kyle of Kyle Racing (Kyle Racing - Roadracing Motorcycles). During the peak of the Honda F2 and F3's life on the track, Dan was at Two Brothers Racing in '91 and '92 as a crew chief, and then he moved to Erion Racing in '93. Kyle was right in the middle of AMA 600 Supersport racing for several years and had a lot of good things to say about the bike. "Both the F2 and F3 bikes were very reliable on and off the track," said Kyle, including one story that was a testament to the Honda's reliability. "In 1996 we were at the track and had a brand new F3 engine in a bike and Doug Toland was riding it. After a few laps we noted that it started to smoke and it didn't let up so we brought him in off the track. After looking over the bike we realized that the entire cooling system was dry. It had been on the track circulating for several laps at race pace yet it never gave up. I later opened up the engine assuming it was toast but it wasn't. The cylinders were slightly out of round from the excessive heat but I simply rebuilt it anyway. After reassembly it made more power on the dyno than any other F3 we had built."

so put your mind at rest keep up with services my F2 brothers...