General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken bolt

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken bolt

Hi guys.... a friend emailed me and has a question... I've copied and pasted his note below:

He snapped the head off of a bolt and needs a way to remove it. I'm thinking that drilling a hole into the top of the bolt and pulling it out that way is the thing to do, but I'm not sure if it'll work as he screwed it in pretty tight.

Need some advice here... TIA!
-D

Hi Denyse,

I resent the pics. I stalled again at a bank a week ago so I finally bought a new battery. But I have another issue. Damn it!!!

I installed the battery last night, then my buddy decides he wanted to take a spin with me. So, I removed the rear hump, and reinstalled the rear seat and grab handle. In the process of installing the grab handle, for some reason one of the bolts felt really tight. So, I ignored it and just turned it with a socket wrench. Well, I should have followed my instincts, because by the time I was done turning, I popped the head of the bolt!!! Damn it! Now, one of the four bolts is headless so I can't remove it. I can't put the hump back either because of the bolt sticking out.

My buddy feels confident that a vice grip would do to remove it, but I am pessimistic, I highly doubt that since it took much force to drive it in. Though there is just enough of it to hang on with, I just doubt that a vice grip is powerful enough.

So...do you or any of your friends have an idea of removing it, or do you know who I can pay to do it? I swear, I have the worst luck these past few months than ever in my life. The battery works like a charm though :-)

Old 07-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Default RE: Broken bolt

I am thinking the best bet would be to drill it out then retap the threads. The way it sounds, the bolt got crossed threaded some how. They do sell bits specifically for removing bolts like this, but i have never used them and have no idea how well they work.

HTH

Old 07-20-2006, 03:55 PM

I'm confused on how a hole in the middle of a bolt would do anything to help remove it. I think that since it is sticking out a little teeny bit, he should either try the vice or buy some professional "will rip off skin and never let go of anything" grade glue and try to put the head back on, let it set, then see if he can get it out.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:58 PM

you would have to completely drill it out and retap the threads. in teh end you have a biger hole and need a slightly bigger bolt.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:02 PM

I see. I would want to avoid permenant disfiguration at all costs, but i guess sometimes you need to.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like he cross-threaded the bolt...even the strongest bolt extractor may not get it out now...i'd do as the others say and drill the bolt out...but if he's really careful of the drilling and slowly makes the hole bigger and bigger inside the bolt, then he'll be able to remove it once enough of the center has been removed...by crushing it and pulling it out...but you need to have a very steady hand...LONG LONG time to work with, patience...and easiest with a drill press...

so i'd just drill it out and retap.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:53 PM

try a "left handed drill bit"
Fastenal has them, its just a reverse drill bit
may or may not work if its cross threaded, but its always worked for me

Old 07-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Thanks guys for all your suggestions... he did get it out by using a vice grip.