F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Front wheel: speedometer alignment with the fork?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheel: speedometer alignment with the fork?

Hi,
I wonder if the speedometer hub alignment mark should be exactly on same line with one on the left fork? Currently they are not and the mark on the fork prevents the speedometer from spinning, is this correct?

If the marks are aligned it seems that there will be gap which does not look right and all the force goes through the alignment mark, which also seems kind of stupid. Bearing would not get the load evenly. Maybe I'm missing some spacer or something?

Anyone got a pic from correctly installed front wheel?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nthrx
Hi,
I wonder if the speedometer hub alignment mark should be exactly on same line with one on the left fork? Currently they are not and the mark on the fork prevents the speedometer from spinning, is this correct?

If the marks are aligned it seems that there will be gap which does not look right and all the force goes through the alignment mark, which also seems kind of stupid. Bearing would not get the load evenly. Maybe I'm missing some spacer or something?

Anyone got a pic from correctly installed front wheel?
No pic needed, you are correct about the boss on the fork being there to prevent the speedometer gear drive from rotating - when you mount the wheel, simply make sure that the corresponding boss on the speedo drive, sits behind the boss on the fork.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ditto what JNSR said.

I'm a little confused what you state about the bearing not getting load evenly? The speedo hub drive also acts as the spacer on that side of the bike. It should sit flat against the fork leg just like a normal spacer would have. Once you have the axle bolt properly torqued (43ft lb) you then lock down the pinch bolts (16 ft lb) on the fork legs and you're done.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM

You are absolutely correct, however if the bosses were perfectly aligned in a straight line, the speedo hub wouldn't sit flat against the fork leg, since bosses push against each other creating a gap between the fork leg and speedo hub. If the boss on the hub is behind the boss on the fork, the hub sits flat against the fork leg.

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
ditto what JNSR said.

I'm a little confused what you state about the bearing not getting load evenly? The speedo hub drive also acts as the spacer on that side of the bike. It should sit flat against the fork leg just like a normal spacer would have. Once you have the axle bolt properly torqued (43ft lb) you then lock down the pinch bolts (16 ft lb) on the fork legs and you're done.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:28 AM

I'm still not getting what you're saying, maybe a pic of what you're dealing with? I've uninstalled and reinstalled my front wheel too many times to count. Yes, I did manage to get the speedo drive rotated too far one direction and not rotated into the correct position a time or 3, each time though, the wheel and axle installed normally, just the speedo hub would rotate around the axle (as intended). There wasn't any binding or out-of-alignment issues though. I'll take a pic of mine when I get home this afternoon.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM

junky, I think what he's saying, is that if he were to put those "bosses" or "flanges", or whatever they're called, "butting" against one another, rather than in the proper place, where the boss on the speedo drive was kept from rotating by the one on the fork, then the fork would be kind of "held out" a little, preventing the spacers from being flush... in other words if those flanges were contacting each other "side by side" when you're looking down the fork at them, rather than one being in front of the other, that's when the unwanted gap was present.

It sounds to me like he's good now... right nthrx?

Old 05-29-2013, 11:20 AM

ahh- gotcha. Yeah - that doesn't work so well :-)

Old 05-30-2013, 03:28 AM

Yeah, everything was good all along, I was just making sure. The where reason why I got so doubtful is due to this pic on service manual.

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
junky, I think what he's saying, is that if he were to put those "bosses" or "flanges", or whatever they're called, "butting" against one another, rather than in the proper place, where the boss on the speedo drive was kept from rotating by the one on the fork, then the fork would be kind of "held out" a little, preventing the spacers from being flush... in other words if those flanges were contacting each other "side by side" when you're looking down the fork at them, rather than one being in front of the other, that's when the unwanted gap was present.

It sounds to me like he's good now... right nthrx?

Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by nthrx
Yeah, everything was good all along, I was just making sure. The where reason why I got so doubtful is due to this pic on service manual.
Gotcha... yeah, you can just barely tell, in that pic, that the nub on the fork is in front of the nub on the speedo drive - I'd say they could have made it a little bit more clear... and not used the word "Align"!!

Old 06-03-2013, 04:20 PM

I replaced my front tyre a couple weeks ago. I had the same problem. At first I had everything assambled right, but after seeing that picture I got confused. They could've made it with 2 nubs, even my old moped has that!!