F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When it dies open up your gas tank and see if its venting fine or not. Maybe a kinked line under the tank. That's what happened to mine. It would be fine for the ride and mid way through BAM she would shut off and choke would have to come on. With this it was getting to much pressure build up in the tank. Found the kinked lines and it was good as new.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by souldier4
Hi, in reviewing your thread I noticed your hose configuration looks somewhat simpler than mine. I posted this in general tech.
Sorry souldier... you have a cali model and I have no advice for you other than to find a good honda shop manual.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:35 AM

No worries,
Kilgoretrout helped me out. I can essentially remove some hoses used in the california type and have a basic hose config.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Oh and about the pilot screws, they effect idle and pretty much just initial throttle roll on. Jet needle effects mid range power, main jets effect upper rpm power. Technically, jets don't effect power, they effect air/fuel ratio. In a way I suppose it effects power because if you mess up the ratio, you will lose power.

You would need to adjust them equally. If nothing it wrong with your idle or roll on, then I wouldn't mess with them.
Thank you so much for the article Dissevered. I'm going to attempt to adjust the pilot screws to combat a terrible idle and roll on even after sync (replaced rack of carbs). Just to clarify, are you saying the position of all pilot screws should be matched, or the same?

Ex: all 1.5 turns out.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 PM

i have another question. is there a cheap carb sync tool i can buy. i dont want to make one because i want to do it right the first time. the cheapest i can find them are 90 bucks? for some tubing and liquid!!! another thing. my bike has alot of power in the low rpm range. i can hammer it and get going but after a certain rpms the power lets off. i kno the power goes back down after really high rpms but mine seems to lose a bit after 8k would this require bigger main jets?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mariof
i have another question. is there a cheap carb sync tool i can buy. i dont want to make one because i want to do it right the first time. the cheapest i can find them are 90 bucks? for some tubing and liquid!!! another thing. my bike has alot of power in the low rpm range. i can hammer it and get going but after a certain rpms the power lets off. i kno the power goes back down after really high rpms but mine seems to lose a bit after 8k would this require bigger main jets?
There is no cheap sync tool as far as I know, unless you make a homemade one. There are guides somewhere around the internet on how to do that.

Your bike should pull very hard and smooth through all the RPMs. Even at 12+ when your power band weakens, it should still feel strong and reliable, without hesitation or sudden drops in power. You may need smaller main jets, OR bigger ones. That is for you to test out. air/fuel needs to be the perfect ratio for your bike. If you are getting less air, then bigger jets like you suggested would only throw that ratio farther out of whack.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 AM

The rare times I come to cbr forums to see whats up, I always check this thread out. I still can't believe someone went through that amount of effort to write up a perfect tutorial.

The only sort of experience ive had with this business is a little bit of nitro rc toys a few years ago. Just last summer, I took my laptop out to the garage and totally corrected my 5 rpm stutter. I know ill be doing another thorough carb clean this spring considering I accidentally put a little bit of diesel in while rushed to class. lol

Thanks a lot, Dissevered

Old 02-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by antatious
The rare times I come to cbr forums to see whats up, I always check this thread out. I still can't believe someone went through that amount of effort to write up a perfect tutorial.

The only sort of experience ive had with this business is a little bit of nitro rc toys a few years ago. Just last summer, I took my laptop out to the garage and totally corrected my 5 rpm stutter. I know ill be doing another thorough carb clean this spring considering I accidentally put a little bit of diesel in while rushed to class. lol

Thanks a lot, Dissevered
No problem, I teach for a living, writing up these kind of things are fun to me haha. I would venture to guess that putting a few ounces of diesel into your tank on accident wont require you to do a carb cleaning, unless you are noticing problems. Diesel doesn't clog anything up, it just doesn't burn the same way gasoline does so its made for a different engine.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 AM

this sticky is a life saver...just bought a 92 f2 with a little miss in it...owner let it sit up for a month n told me a clogged carb was suspected...bike would run but one header wouldn't heat up...and once u let the choke off it would kill...bougt it Friday n tore it down under the carport today with the iPhones safari on this thread... worked flawlessly...thanks a ton!...

Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mariof

I got one off eBay brand new for about $50, that doesn't seem too bad. Make sure you get one with 4 guages, or you're gonna want to hang yourself.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101