F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lqdcat
in one of the first pictures...what does that breather hose attach back to? I just noticed mine was disconnected. Is this why my bike won't start?

. . .that shouldn't cause the bike to not start. Check the diagram on the lid of your airbox for hose routing.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I was wondering if i should add those fuel system cleaners to my tank like right before an oil change or something? Would adding the carb cleaning ones affect our bikes? I know its a noob question but im just trying to be safe and not damage anything.

"Fuel system" cleaners are generally for cleaning injectors, which your bike doesn't have. So, YES, you want a carb cleaner. The two most widely trusted ones are Seafoam and Techron, though the validity of what they do is much debated.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Thank you, I have been having a problem in which my bike shuts down in mid ride and some time when I stop at a light. Then I have to pull the choke and restart the bike. I talk to a guy at a shop that said it sounded like I had a problem with air so would that mean my bike is "jetted" wrong even thou I had a mechanic do it a year and a half ago? The bike did sit for about 3 or 4 months.

Any help would be so awesome.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Nateclimb
Thank you, I have been having a problem in which my bike shuts down in mid ride and some time when I stop at a light. Then I have to pull the choke and restart the bike. I talk to a guy at a shop that said it sounded like I had a problem with air so would that mean my bike is "jetted" wrong even thou I had a mechanic do it a year and a half ago? The bike did sit for about 3 or 4 months.

Any help would be so awesome.
Well, did the problem start after the mechanic did whatever to it or after it sat? If it ran well after the mechanic but not after it sat, your carbs probably need cleaned. If it idles poorly it probably needs synced and cleaned and maybe even re adjusted, I am not sure what your mechanic did... its always good to get a list and try to understand what those guys do to your toys.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 AM

Even if the jets were all the way in, it still wouldn't cause the bike to consistently die like that, it would just run super rich. If it was running fine after it was jetted, then it was done properly and that's not the issue. 4 months isn't a super long time, but could cause problems.

Last edited by johnnyx; 09-09-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Thank you for the help. I wish I would have thought of looking for a forum a year ago. Is that work you would recommend me trying my self? I have been reading a lot and do have a cyclemer book.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nateclimb
Thank you for the help. I wish I would have thought of looking for a forum a year ago. Is that work you would recommend me trying my self? I have been reading a lot and do have a cyclemer book.
Clymer are junk, find a shop manual on Ebay, they are awesome. You still have to let us know if the bike ran fine after the jetting change or not. When did you notice the problem?

Old 09-10-2009, 12:43 AM

Thats the really weird thing. Is that my bike ran fine then, and all of a sudden the problem started. The only thing that my have been changed is that my battery was totally charged so today I charged it and am hoping that may be that might have something to do with it.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:19 AM

Well 99% of the time, you look at what you did or changed to tackle the problem. 1% of the time something randomly goes bad. Ran fine, then it sat, then it ran bad... so there you go. It sat too long and carbs are probably gunked up a bit. Clean them (and do it right, the long tedious way like explained in this guide) and use fuel stabilizer next time it sits for a while. ^_^

Old 09-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Default Hose config

Hi, in reviewing your thread I noticed your hose configuration looks somewhat simpler than mine. I posted this in general tech.

Originally Posted by souldier4
I just bought my first bike, a '94 F2. I started going over the bike checking things and when I took the carburetors off and made sure they were clean (great 'how to' by therabbit on carberetor cleaning btw) I noticed that the hose configuration was more complicated than what I am used to on my dirt bike =)

I took pictures and labeled the hoses so I could put everything back the way it was but here is the thing. This bike has a lot of little things left over from the previous owner I want to fix/get right, ie mismatched bolts, nonstandard screws and zip ties of all things that were holding the fairings on, and the best, on the left side 1 of the 3 bolts to mount the engine to the frame is missing!

In short I dont have the confidence in the way the previous owner set up the fuel/vacuum hose config. I snapped a pic. I would appreciate any hints on how this should go together. (two circled are the ones in question)

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101