F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MRGRIN
Great write up. I wish that I had also seen it before I did it on my own.

The bike I just purchased has sat for about 4 years. After the carb cleaning and new plugs, it fires right up, idles extremely smooth and has unbelievable acceleration.

I did not pull the center from the diaphram or adjust the pilot/slow jet. Since the bike is running so well, should I just leave it alone??

Thanks for your advice in advance....
If it runs well at idle/midrange/top end RPMS at normal operating temperature, and the throttle feels responsive then you are good to go.

You need adjustments when the throttle feels sluggish or your bike surges (feels like intermittant power)

Old 10-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Ok, I only got to page 5 on this writeup and didn't see an answer to my question yet - skipping the next 15 pages (sorry) and I am just going to ask this:

What is the tube to the left of the main Jet? It does not have a screwdriver slot in it. When I cleaned my carbs last night, I used a thin wire to go into the jets (along with a healthy dose of carb cleaner). I also tried putting the wire down into this mysterious hole. On three of the 4 carbs the wire did go down into the hole quite a ways, the fourth one (which was the far left in your picture when you are looking at the jets on all four with the bowl behind them) this tube allowed the wire to go down a much shorter distance and it felt like it was closed off in there (not just clogged with gunk).

Can someone tell me if this is how it should be (or even what the purpose of this tube is)?

Thanks - P

Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by notny41
Ok, I only got to page 5 on this writeup and didn't see an answer to my question yet - skipping the next 15 pages (sorry) and I am just going to ask this:

What is the tube to the left of the main Jet? It does not have a screwdriver slot in it. When I cleaned my carbs last night, I used a thin wire to go into the jets (along with a healthy dose of carb cleaner). I also tried putting the wire down into this mysterious hole. On three of the 4 carbs the wire did go down into the hole quite a ways, the fourth one (which was the far left in your picture when you are looking at the jets on all four with the bowl behind them) this tube allowed the wire to go down a much shorter distance and it felt like it was closed off in there (not just clogged with gunk).

Can someone tell me if this is how it should be (or even what the purpose of this tube is)?

Thanks - P
I have never stuck wire down the jets so I can't tell you what is supposed to happen. A soak with carb cleaner and a burst of air from an air compressor has always been enough to clean carbs. If the wire doesn't go in any farther, then it might just be hitting a 90 degree bend in the passage. Doesn't mean its clogged. Just make sure you soak and clean every passage all over the carbs, not just the adjustable ones.

As for what the tube is, its most likely another air or fuel tube. Carbs work by using the vacuum created by the engine pulling air in through the throttle plates. If you thorougly inspect your carbs, you see all sorts of little holes in different spots which are all part of that vacuum system.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM

ok, after looking at another thread I'd determined that what I was wondering about is the choke pickup tube. AND, after flipping my carbs over, that hole is definately capped off from the factory. Maybe it is because my carbs are off a F3?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:42 AM

Possibly, I have never seen F3 carbs. Nor do I even recall what you are talking about without seeing the carbs in front of me. ^_^ Just clean them and ride. Worry about it if you have problems. You could also check a microphiche/blow up of your carbs online to see if they were tinkered with by a previous owner.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:37 PM

I had cleaned them but after putting them back on and it only seeming like it was running on a couple cylinders was questioning my cleaning job. I decided to take all the gas out of the tank and put some fresh stuff in. After it ran kind of crappy for a while, it eventually cleaned up and ran very well again. At the time I was cleaning it, I was puzzled by why 3 of the 4 carbs would allow the wire to pass thru and the last one simply would not. After I had them on the bike again, i could see why the last one wouldn't let the wire thru that hole. There is a bright brass cap in the place where all of the others had an orafice. Good to go now I think.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 PM

hey guys.. im new to the cbr world.. i have a 92 cbr f2 engine i just put on a dune buggy. the engine has sat for a while im sure.. the bike i pulled it from was wrecked.
my problem is that it will start and idle fine but if i touch the throttle it will just bog and die. its a fuel delivery problem for sure. i was thinking pilot jet, but it wouldnt idle if that was it im assuming. im going to pull the carbs off and clean them for sure, just trying to find my problem area. any ideas?

Old 11-07-2011, 12:31 AM

I'd put money on it being the carbs - and/or bad gas

Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 AM

Well I cleaned all my jets and all that stuff and blew air in all holes, but still same result. Must still have a plugged hole somewhere. It's gotta be in the pilot circuit. Any common "hard to clear" areas? I'm gonna strip the carbs down and soak the carbs in cleaner. Where's the best place to buy boots? Besides the stealership.

One other thing. On the bottom of the black slide is one of the holes supposed to be glued shut?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Create a thread for this.

It sounds like a vaccum issue to me honestly. We'll discuss it in your new thread though.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101