F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jesseawesome
dude you need to clean way more than the carbs on that thing. My dirtbikes are less gnarly than that!
lmao!

Old 11-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Is this a little better? I still need to do some detail cleaning. I'll get down in there with a toothbrush and some WD40 to get all the oily gelatinous discharge otta there too.

Last edited by Wranghondo; 11-18-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:30 PM

What is the best way to get the pilot jet out without the little d-tool. Mine are recessed so I can't get at it with a dremel to cut a notch.

I've been all through the carbs and they are spotless so far. But before I tore it down it would hesitate when I cracked the throttle off idle and ran kinda rough while cruising below 5k. I'm guessing that should be the pilot jet?

Old 11-23-2011, 07:27 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine was recessed way down, so i was like eff it took a dremmel through the sides and made a slit untilb i hit the screw

Old 11-23-2011, 03:31 PM

your stumble below 5k could be bad gas or bad plugs too... or possibly a vacuum leak?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Timbostang
What is the best way to get the pilot jet out without the little d-tool. Mine are recessed so I can't get at it with a dremel to cut a notch.

I've been all through the carbs and they are spotless so far. But before I tore it down it would hesitate when I cracked the throttle off idle and ran kinda rough while cruising below 5k. I'm guessing that should be the pilot jet?
the pilot adjuster is supposed to be recessed in the grey/silver body of the carbs. I didn't have a dremel on hand and ended up using a mini hack saw. It will cut lines into the body of your carbs. doesn't matter. Dremmel with a small cutting wheel is the best though.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 PM

How incredibly important is douching out the pilot jet passage? I fecked up and forgot to clean it out. I guess if it doesn't run right I know what I have to do. Lol! Cleaned out my gas tank. Put a little over a gallon of fuel and half a bottle of cheapo Wall of China Mart fuel system cleaner in there and shook it twice a day for most of this week then dumped it out yesterday. Man, it looked like I was dumping tomato juice out of it! Yuk! Since the tank is bare metal right now I'm going to take it to the radiator shop and have them hot tank it to make sure it's clean. Not gonna have my baby drinking any crappy gas that's for sure!

Old 11-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wranghondo
How incredibly important is douching out the pilot jet passage? I fecked up and forgot to clean it out. I guess if it doesn't run right I know what I have to do. Lol! Cleaned out my gas tank. Put a little over a gallon of fuel and half a bottle of cheapo Wall of China Mart fuel system cleaner in there and shook it twice a day for most of this week then dumped it out yesterday. Man, it looked like I was dumping tomato juice out of it! Yuk! Since the tank is bare metal right now I'm going to take it to the radiator shop and have them hot tank it to make sure it's clean. Not gonna have my baby drinking any crappy gas that's for sure!
I honestly can't give it some accurate level of importance. I've never let my carbs get that bad so all I ever had to do was shoot carb cleaner into every hole I saw and blow it out with a burst of compressed air. My carbs never took more than 30 minutes to clean. Never had to fully dismantle the body or do anything like that.

If you are cleaning something that sat for a very long time or was never cleaned or taken care of then I am sure every little orifice is pretty important unless you want to take it all apart again later.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:21 PM

Well, I may be ok. After looking at the crap that came out of the gas tank I'm thinking that perhaps the petcock or filter was perhaps completely plugged up. It was really nasty. Chunks and everything. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:22 AM

I would go back and clean out those pilot jets with a very thin wire before the bike's put together. I was chasing some nasty issues with my bike that were eventually all fixed by cleaning out the pilot jets.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101