F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heated a thin plastic stick, like the end of an ink pen. Jammed it up in there. When it got cool it had the D-shape to it, twisted them out then cut slots in them for a screwdriver.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by switched
I would go back and clean out those pilot jets with a very thin wire before the bike's put together. I was chasing some nasty issues with my bike that were eventually all fixed by cleaning out the pilot jets.
Dammit! This is not what I wanted to hear!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by switched
I would go back and clean out those pilot jets with a very thin wire before the bike's put together. I was chasing some nasty issues with my bike that were eventually all fixed by cleaning out the pilot jets.
You Sir, were correct. I've had to take my carbs back off and do a PROPER cleaning. Couldn't even get the bike to start after my "cleaning".

Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Get a couple gallons of carb cleaner (it comes in paint cans), dump it into a plastic tub, completely dismantle the carb unit, and submerge it in the tub for a few days. Scrub with a soft bristle brush, like a toothbrush. That's gonna be your start. Honestly, when they're this bad, you might want to just look into buying a refurbed set. What's your time worth?

Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM

Finally took a cut-off wheel and cut a slot into one of the pilot jets. It was just as spotless as the rest of the carb. Put it all back together yesterday and ran it up and down the street on gravity feed (since my fuel pump went kaput) and it runs okay except for the off-idle stumble.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Timbostang
Finally took a cut-off wheel and cut a slot into one of the pilot jets. It was just as spotless as the rest of the carb. Put it all back together yesterday and ran it up and down the street on gravity feed (since my fuel pump went kaput) and it runs okay except for the off-idle stumble.

Have you replaced your fuel filter yet? The smallest fleck of rust from the gas tank can screw those things ALL up.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by coalminer frank
I heated a thin plastic stick, like the end of an ink pen. Jammed it up in there. When it got cool it had the D-shape to it, twisted them out then cut slots in them for a screwdriver.

Fun fact: You used to be able to unlock the cylindrical Kensington bike and laptop locks by doing this. They changed their size in '05, though because of it.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Great write-up. Used this so much this weekend. Thanks

Old 04-01-2012, 09:58 AM

Great thread! Thanks for the info. But what do you do when the carb insulators are petrified and hard as a rock? I couldn't even budge them when I a tried. And yes, I did loosen the bottom retaining clamps...

Thanks TC

Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by tc_rogers
Great thread! Thanks for the info. But what do you do when the carb insulators are petrified and hard as a rock? I couldn't even budge them when I a tried. And yes, I did loosen the bottom retaining clamps...

Thanks TC
Keep tugging. Mine weren't soft anymore either. When I pulled them off, the little lips on the inside of the boots that help them hold onto the engine cracked off. It didn't effect anything, and my only choice would have been to purchace new ones. Just tug and rock them back n forth till they pop off. 1st time I needed a crowbar lol. Just be careful if you are using that much leverage. You could bend or break something.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101