F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F3 has either frozen and/or stripped float bowl drain screws. The float bowl drain screws are used to drain the fuel. If these are just opened when cleaning the carbs I guess I don't care. Is this true?

PS. great writeup. This is SOOOO much better than what is in Clymer and Haynes

Old 09-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by danroonie
My F3 has either frozen and/or stripped float bowl drain screws. The float bowl drain screws are used to drain the fuel. If these are just opened when cleaning the carbs I guess I don't care. Is this true?

PS. great writeup. This is SOOOO much better than what is in Clymer and Haynes
You don't HAVE to use them when cleaning the cars; you can just unbolt the bowls and let the gas spill out, it's just messy.

They're used when you winterize or put the bike into long-term storage. If you're never going to let the bike sit for more than 6 months at a time, then don't worry about it. They're also used for troubleshooting, ie "is fuel even getting into the bowls?" You'd open the screws to see if you've got a fuel flow problem.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
If you're going to let the bike sit for more than 6 months ....
LOL Johnny six MONTHS that would just NOT be right! I hadn't seen that mentioned somewhere. It would be great if there was a how-to on storage/ winterizing with what to for for how many months of storage...

Originally Posted by johnnyx
used for troubleshooting, ie "is fuel even getting into the bowls?" You'd open the screws to see if you've got a fuel flow problem.
Good to know! Hopefully my carbs will all go back together nicely and I won't have to worry about that! For the next time I take apart the carbs, I'd def gonna pick up a spare for parts on ebay.

Thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 AM

Hey guys im having trouble removing the carbs I can get to the first lot of screws but the second lot are a pain there is just not enother room to get you hand in or a screw driver whats the best way to go about removing then as I want to drop my engine on the week end and need to get the crabs off to do it

Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Hey guys... I just got finished taking apart my carbs and 1 of the 4 carbs has a rubber o-ring and washer on the mixture adjustment screw, the others don't. (Assuming they were lost when the previous owner cleaned them). Are they necessary?

Old 10-07-2011, 06:35 PM

First of all I want to thank you for this wonderful sticky/thread. i dont post hardley ever and havent been on in like 5 yers but I've come back to say thanks it really helped. The hardest part was remebering where all those hoses go when puttin it all back together oh and taking the actual carbs out lol I had to use a crowbar too. I would have forgotten that breather hose in pic 2 if you would have never mentioned either.
Any ways I cleaned the carbs cuz the bike was sitting for over a year. Any it wouldn't run without the choke on high,when I gave it gas it would die.
o I cleaned out the carbs/jets but it all back together right, but when I go to start it it doesnt start. It started before I did this and now it just turns over but no start?

what am i doing wrong
desevrved or jason x or anyon else who wants to help. the battery and alt at good,what about the thing for the gas tank on the left hand side?what direction does it need to be pointed? up?down ?in the middle?is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance

Old 10-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Hey guys first of all extremely cool thread I thank you a million. After I cleaned the carbs the bike turns over but wont start any ideas?

Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 PM

Great write up. I wish that I had also seen it before I did it on my own.

The bike I just purchased has sat for about 4 years. After the carb cleaning and new plugs, it fires right up, idles extremely smooth and has unbelievable acceleration.

I did not pull the center from the diaphram or adjust the pilot/slow jet. Since the bike is running so well, should I just leave it alone??

Thanks for your advice in advance....

Old 10-15-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas_1987
Hey guys im having trouble removing the carbs I can get to the first lot of screws but the second lot are a pain there is just not enother room to get you hand in or a screw driver whats the best way to go about removing then as I want to drop my engine on the week end and need to get the crabs off to do it

Which screws? the ones on the rubber boots? Get a super long screw driver. They sell them at harbor freight.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cbrdavid1234568910
Hey guys first of all extremely cool thread I thank you a million. After I cleaned the carbs the bike turns over but wont start any ideas?
Sometimes you have to let it turn over for up to 60 seconds to refil your float bowls. Have you tried turning it over for a looong time?

you have to realize that these bikes are not fuel injected nor do they ahve a pump. When you drain/clean your carbs, it takes time to refill them via a simple gravity/vacuum fuel feed.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101