F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah but i dont have a f2 petcock, its an f3 petcock, so no room for that hose to fit.. haven't sync the carbs either.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM

how do i synch my carbs?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by kinglee86
how do i synch my carbs?
With a carb syncing tool. Its used to measure vacuum. You can find a guide online on how to build your own home made one if you want, or buy one (not worth it) or go to a shop.

Some people swear by syncing here... I've never in years needed to sync and I tinkered with my carbs 50 times. All it does is put each cylinder in sync by fine tuning the throttle plates, which just smooths out your idle.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:58 PM

well im going crazy over here...... cleaned the carbs, which was not dirty, just had that lime green liquid in there.... just got done changing my spark plugs likle 3 min ago...gapped them to .35.....put a Lucas tune up in a bottle in there. still wont turn over...and a new battery.......whats wrong??

Old 01-07-2011, 07:55 PM

just had that lime green liquid in there..
That means they were dirty.

After you empty your float bowls it some times takes 30-60 seconds of turning the engine over until it starts firing again.

Another thing just to not confuse people.

"turn over" is what happens when you hit the ignition and hear the engine moving. If it is not turning over, then you get silence.

If you haven't given it a minute of cranking to refill your float bowls, do so. If then, it still never fires, then there is another problem. W/o removing the carbs, open the float drain screw momentarily to check if there is fuel in the bowls. If not, you are not getting fuel to carbs, if so then you probably aren't getting spark.

Even with horrible tuning, the bike should show signs of life, as if it were trying to fire start up.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 PM

i'll check tomorrow...its turning over just wont start

Old 02-16-2011, 07:53 PM

well im going crazy over here...... cleaned the carbs, which was not dirty, just had that lime green liquid in there.... just got done changing my spark plugs likle 3 min ago...gapped them to .35.....put a Lucas tune up in a bottle in there. still wont turn over...and a new battery.......whats wrong??

Are you GETTING spark? New plugs won't fix anything if your coils are bad. Is fuel getting to the carbs in the first place? Open the bowls and see if gas comes out. If yes and yes, then your problem is still carb-related. Pull out all the jets and visually confirm they are clear with a flashlight. The starter jets can clog VERY easily, and its VERY difficult to tell if they are clear.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:52 PM

ok so tryin to pull the carb off to clean, cant for the life of me get the sucker off, been at er for a couple hours.....any suggestions?? how does a shop get them off?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you've loosened both bolts on each boot, then you're not pulling hard enough. It takes a ton of force for the first time if they haven't been off in a while. I thought I was gonna break something too, but it took a bit more than I was putting in it.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:16 PM

+1. They're awful. The first couple of times it usually takes me two people rocking it back and forth and pulling.

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning & Tuning 101