CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Very hot 954. Cooling issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very hot 954. Cooling issue.

From 10 days ago:
Haven't been riding much since the last few months, and I'm almost certain that the bike is leaking coolant as I hafta top it up every few hundred kms.
I yet have to work around that and lookup the leak.
Now coming to the problem mentioned in the title, the last couple of times there is a distinct whistling sound once the warm is warm.
The sound is only below 1000-1500 rpm, or when I'm idling. It goes away when I revv the bike.
I'm quite confused with what this could be, am not sure if its related to the coolant leak in any way, just thought I'd give a headsup on it.

Update from last weekend:
I got around opening the fairing last weekend and the radiator cap seemed intact. Opened it and topped up the coolant level. Closed it and decided to take it for a short spin around the block.
Within a couple of kms, the whistling sound was back, and worse there was coolant leaking, rather spraying from the right hand side everytime I revved it to 5500-6000 rpm. I immedaitely called a veteran, and technically inclined friend and decided to dropby his place as I could spot the leakage around the main coolant hose that one can see through the fairing.
Enroute to my friend's place there were light gushes of smoke coming through from where the coolant was leaking.

Reached his place, and we soon had the right hand side fairing off. Two of the header pipes had changed colour to pink and blue, which we guessed was the burnt coolant effect. On close inspection my friend noticed a loose main coolant clamp, and immediately tightened it. The hose even felt perfectly soft once the bike has sorta cooled down, and not plastic one bit that it could have developed a crack.
We topped upo the coolant once again in the radiator and think the problem had ended there, I left for my place.

On my way back, the temperature touched a highg of 130 degrees centirgrade which is quite unusual as mostly the bike would ride between 85 and 105 degrees centigrade depending on traffic conditions. I blamed that on an empty reservoir and topped it up later in the evening when the bike was cold.

Current scenario:
This morning (exactly a week later), I took the bike for a short spin and the whistling sound has gone, but the temperature rose to 130 degrees centigrade again by the time I got home. \
I couldnt spot and leakage, no sweet coolant burning smell either and am kinda dumbfounded now.

My friend is of the opinion that its an air bubble in the coolant system which is causing th coolant to not circulate and advises getting rid of it by letting the bike idle for a few minutes with the reservoir cap open. Any feedback and alternative method of getting rid of the air bubble other than the above mentioned?

Alternatively my friend thinks it could even be a kaput hydro switch that regulates the coolant supply just inacse it isnt an air bubble. What do you guys think about this?

Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Whistlin from the water pump maybe???? see if you can hear that sound comin from the stator side on the lower side. U can try and bleed the system (hydro-locked) just keep the cap off like u were told and let it run for about 20 minutes to bleed the system.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:38 AM

The whistling sound is eradicated after we tightened the clamp on the main coolant hose.
Are you sure about '20 minutes' of idle running with the coolant reservoir cap open? I'm just slightly worried it may be too long, and I may blow something.
A couple of years back, someone at the car service station forgot to hook back the coolant reservoir cap on my car, landed up blowing a gasket and some more.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:00 PM

you need it to get to operating temp and hot enought where the thermostat will open and allow the fluid to flow through the entire system. 20 mins is just a estimate. you pretty much want to get all air bubbles out. im suprised wit air bubbles in ur system you havent blown a gasket.....

Old 07-12-2010, 07:02 AM

Blown a gasket? Crap! I probably could have and wouldnt know till the mech opens and tells me on it though. Havent spotted any leakage on the coolant though.
I think I am going to drop it the mech tomm. He's reasonably good enough, we barely have a couple of them around here who know their job around these bikes.

A quick question though, my bike is currently running a Yoshimura tri oval half system. I have recently purchase a devil slipon cansister which would mostly slipon to the yoshi Y pipe. Would I need to change the map for the same on my PC3, or should I continue using the map for the Yoshimura system?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:08 AM

I dont mean a major gasket, meanin like the waterpump gasket. dont be concerned with ur valve cover gasket. do you have the repair manual that is down-loadable here? the water pump is a easy replacement if that is where the wine is comin from. as far as the pc3 with the devil slip on thats a good question, i dont really know. havent used or dont feel the need for a pc3 so im out on that one. there are plenty of guys here who run pc's so they should have a better answer

Old 08-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by ma(n)son
Blown a gasket? Crap! I probably could have and wouldnt know till the mech opens and tells me on it though. Havent spotted any leakage on the coolant though.
I think I am going to drop it the mech tomm. He's reasonably good enough, we barely have a couple of them around here who know their job around these bikes.

A quick question though, my bike is currently running a Yoshimura tri oval half system. I have recently purchase a devil slipon cansister which would mostly slipon to the yoshi Y pipe. Would I need to change the map for the same on my PC3, or should I continue using the map for the Yoshimura system?
Run the bike for a while and then unscrew all spark plugs and inspect them. If they are good coloured then you're the man. If they are not, change the map

This in case you cannot find any difference between the old and new can.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 AM

Thanks Rumba. I have started a new thread for the PC3 map issue here https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/pc3-help-cbr-954-a-115123/

For the others, the cooling issue is sorted to the T!

Copy paste from my thread on an Indian portal: www.team-bhp.com

It took a while, but the Fireblade was back from the mech only on Saturday evening.
The mech managed a great job on the cooling system. I took the 954 for a spin the following Sunday morning, about 15 odd kms in normal traffic with a 'few' first and second gear open throttle bursts and the temperature stayed below the 100 degrees mark all along. The highest I saw through that ride was 103 degrees whilst I was idling it once I was home.
The mech said that there were crystal remains in the coolant hoses, and even the Thermostat was slightly choked up. The crystals he said looked like they had formed out of old coolant. I suspect there being any old coolant as I topped up coolant regularly due to the marginal leakage I had been experiencing.

I rode again later on Sunday evening to a friend's place at 7.00 in the evening, and the bike kept its calm, the coolant system worked perfectly and kept the bike around 100 degrees once it was warmed up.
On the ride back though, it had started pouring and I barely crawled back most of the ride back home. The rain was almost blinding me and I don't remember stretching the blade's legs even once till I got to a dry surface and no rain. The good part was that the temperature did not exceed a mere 86 degrees while riding back, which pretty much made the crawling back worthwhile.

The only downer was that I could hear the whistling sound was back again, very faint this time and I noticed it to come on only above 100 degrees and below 1500 rpm but it really is going to bother me till I get around its source which I am suspecting to be the same coolant hose clamp. Will work around it this weekend itself before it gets more annoying.

The wheels are a nice glossy black, and the reasonably new look is going to take some getting used to. Initially I thought they looked out of place for bike as old as 2002, and I was used to seeing dark gray wheels with a bunch of rashes.