F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Cooling Issue Help

Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Default Cooling Issue Help

So i know our bikes run hot and mine is not overheating but she is not her usual self so i was wondering if someone could help. Usually when i start her up she jumps to about 2.5k till all warmed up and ready to go then drops to idle but latly she stays right it if not under normal idle when started. She is also running hotter than typical as in 190-200ish when im on the highway going 65+. i remember reading somewhere this could be a thermostat or wax something that is not doing its job. anyhelp would be needed i was thinking engine ice or something similar but want to fix something before i spend 40 on coolant i may have to drain

Old 05-26-2010, 08:43 AM

My bike idles higher like that when warming up if it's pretty cold. Now that it's getting warmer outside, it usually just idles in the normal range.

Dunno about any cooling system parts that could be bad. I'll skim through my service manual when I get home from work if nobody else has answered by then.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:59 PM

Well, I'm not an expert on the F4i, but here's what i understand:

You brought up 2 items, the thermostat and the fast idle control. The thermostat is basically a temperature controlled valve. When the valve is below a certain temperature, it is closed and coolant simply recirculates through the engine, above that temp, it opens and allows coolant to travel through the radiator.

The fast idle control is the wax thing. It is basically an assembly with wax, a plunger, and a spring. When cold, the wax is solid, and the plunger holds the throttle open (I don't know for sure on the F4i if it actually holds the throttle bodies open, or if it just lets air run in through a fast idle port). When it gets hot, the wax melts, and the plunger lets the throttle close (or closes off the fast idle port).