CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

No spark= Unhappy

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 06:31 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New NGK IRM9C-9H plugs will be here tomorrow. I'm going to put them in when I get off work and hopefully this thing will fire up. It will be nice to finally get to ride her. I took the harness off today and checked everything and reinstalled and re plugged everything back up. I saw no issues with the harness and every thing was plugged in correctly the first time, but that now can be ruled out. I can hear the relay click over so I believe that can be ruled out also and since the stator and rectifier are only responsible for charging and keeping the battery charged I am ruling them out as well. Wish me luck.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:35 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds exactly how I would approach the situation where you're at. Hopefully, she doesn't fight you too hard and hear that sweet I4 roar.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

The plugs were not the culprit so I am going to have the battery tested to see if it is bad. I read that this could cause the engine to crank over but not give enough power for the ignition. I am diagnosing problems one after another until this thing fires. The bike did sit all winter and was only started once this season and has sit for several months since then.

Last edited by msebastianCBR; 08-01-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:53 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014

I am getting a multimeter tomorrow and going to start testing things out. I am starting with the ECM to hopefully rule that out. I will then move onto the IPG (Ignition Pulse Generator) as I really think this is the problem. The IPG is most of the time the cause for the no spark after some research. I am just trying to rule some things out here as my quest continues. I was thinking the stator or rectifier but they are there to charge the battery and really don't have anything to do with the ignition. But the bike does have some new plugs and hopefully another $30 and this will be over and I can begin to enjoy the bike.

Last edited by msebastianCBR; 08-01-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR
I am getting a multimeter tomorrow and going to start testing things out. I am starting with the ECM to hopefully rule that out. I will then move onto the IPG (Ignition Pulse Generator) as I really think this is the problem. The IPG is most of the time the cause for the no spark after some research. I am just trying to rule some things out here as my quest continues. I was thinking the stator or rectifier but they are there to charge the battery and really don't have anything to do with the ignition. But the bike does have some new plugs and hopefully another $30 and this will be over and I can begin to enjoy the bike.
So what did you figure out with the battery? Was it all good. I doubt the ECU is bad. I haven't ever heard of one actually being at fault....

Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Conrice
So what did you figure out with the battery? Was it all good. I doubt the ECU is bad. I haven't ever heard of one actually being at fault....
The battery is all good. The problem is the IPG (Ignition Pulse Generator.) I am ordering a new IPG Rotor and IPG sensor. I checked everything with a multimeter and the IPG was at fault. So I will be ordering those two items shortly. It shows to replace both so that is what I am doing. Wish me luck.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR
The battery is all good. The problem is the IPG (Ignition Pulse Generator.) I am ordering a new IPG Rotor and IPG sensor. I checked everything with a multimeter and the IPG was at fault. So I will be ordering those two items shortly. It shows to replace both so that is what I am doing. Wish me luck.

Best of luck that it fixes it. I'm sure it will if you tested it, and that sensor is dead. Let us know

Old 08-03-2013, 02:29 PM
ROTM, Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Conrice
Best of luck that it fixes it. I'm sure it will if you tested it, and that sensor is dead. Let us know
It seems to be what's wrong after the test. Don't worry I am not going to stray from this forum. I plan to do a build thread soon and wonder around and learn more about things to do to the bike. I will keep you posted.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:24 AM
ROTM, Nov 2014

There is a guy beside me who has a 929RR and he said he had the no spark issue as well. He told me it was a diode in the keyed ignition that needed replaced and after that the bike started right up. He replaced the IPG as well and a bunch of other parts and it turned out to be a $2 diode. I am going to check this today and replace and hope it is a cheap fix. I have not yet ordered the IPG so hopefully it is a cheap fix and I can put the $45 towards some other things.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

To test the ignition diode, see if you have 9v on the pink wire from the ignition.

BTW, this is exactly the reason I asked about ignition pulse earlier. That info would help trace to the correct electrical circuit. I'd rather not guess at parts that the bike needs to run.

Quick Reply: No spark= Unhappy