CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   No spark= Unhappy (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/no-spark-unhappy-148244/)

msebastianCBR 07-27-2013 02:32 PM

No spark= Unhappy

So my ignition is getting no spark. Plugs are pretty black and could be the issue. I am going to order some new NGK IMR9C-9H plugs and get rid of these Autolite 4303's and see what happens. Is this a known issue with the 954? I double checked the harness and everything is plugged up properly. I am really bummed about this since I have had this thing apart several times over the past few days. Any help is appreciated. I also tried to run start it and nothing happened.

74demon 07-27-2013 04:15 PM

Do you have injector pulse and a priming fuel pump?

msebastianCBR 07-27-2013 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1243332)
Do you have injector pulse and a priming fuel pump?

I have no way to check injector pulse without buying a noid light. The fuel pump does prime and seems to be working fine. The red light on the dash next to the neutral light comes on goes off and the comes on again and stays on (no flashing code.) I believe this is normal for the 954. To be honest it seems like the plugs, coils, rectifier, or stator. All wiring is hooked up correctly and everything seems to be working perfect except no ignition spark. I did ground the plugs and check for spark and had no spark on any plug. The bike only has 10,162 miles though so it seems the rectifier, coils, and stator should not be bad. Any suggestions are welcome fuel system seems to be working fine.

msebastianCBR 07-27-2013 07:16 PM

The bike cranks over and seems to be doing so well and I was able to take the circle cover off of the clutch cover and crank the engine by hand with a socket and it was turning smoothly.

Conrice 07-27-2013 07:25 PM

It worked before you took it apart, now it's not sparking. Sorry to say, but I'm still leaning towards its something not plugged in correctly. The ignition on the 954 is very odd in how it's wired up. You've got that other sub harness that comes down the stator/clutch lever side of the motor/frame. It plugs back into your main harness that comes down the throttle side of the bike.

There is also this single wire on a double wire connector that's red that connects back behind the battery, that's easy to forget as well (been there, done that). That being unplugged would cause no ignition.

If you had no ignition on all 4 plugs, but the bike primes, dash comes on, I feel it almost has to be wire related. The odds of all 4 coils going out, the stator or R/R failing as you unplugged everything are just too great.

msebastianCBR 07-27-2013 09:55 PM

That's just it the harness was never unplugged and I followed every wire to double check with the manual. I also do not know if the bike ran since the head was off when I bought it. There has to be something that is not giving the ignition spark. I am almost positive once it receives spark it will fire right up. I am taking the whole harness off tomorrow and rep lugging everything in and going over every plug. Does the rectifier gave to be hooked up a certain way since they are all yellow wires.

Conrice 07-27-2013 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR (Post 1243378)
I also do not know if the bike ran since the head was off when I bought it.

OHHHH - That's different then. I thought (from your other posts) that you had run the thing a few times and what not, then took the head off. That's hugely different from what I thought. With that in mind, you should definitely take it all apart, check the contacts for corrosion, plug it all back in. If you're sure it's ignition related, and you checked all 4 with the same result, I'd still say it's a problem with wiring more so than it is coils, plugs, stator, etc.

Does the rectifier gave to be hooked up a certain way since they are all yellow wires.
The plug needs to match, it should be straight forward.

msebastianCBR 07-28-2013 01:01 PM

Nope the bike was apart when I got it. I figured it was worth it since the bike was so cheap. Even if the motor needs to be rebuilt it is still cheaper than any other 954RR I have found and low miles is a huge plus.

Conrice 07-28-2013 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR (Post 1243477)
Nope the bike was apart when I got it. I figured it was worth it since the bike was so cheap. Even if the motor needs to be rebuilt it is still cheaper than any other 954RR I have found and low miles is a huge plus.

Oh, I'm not saying it's not worth it. I've bought my fair share of basket cases too. Well, if you've tested your ignition, and it's the same on all 4 plugs, I (personally) would rule out it being a problem with the coils. If your bike is cranking, the dash comes on, you hear all of the relays, the fuel pump primes, etc., I'd say it's not a problem with the battery, R/R, and stator. Have you taken a V test to see what happens to the battery (how many V before you crank it, and how many after?)? Go and buy a new set of plugs since you said the ones you had now were pretty gummed up. If you get the same results (no spark on all 4), I'd have to think the problem would still be in the way it's wired up.

msebastianCBR 07-29-2013 08:28 AM

I won't really have time until tomorrow to do anything else to the bike. I plan to take the harness off and inspect it and replug everything back up. I can not hear the relays so I need to check them as we'll. I will let ya know what the outcome is and what I have found if anything.