CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Fuel gauge?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel gauge?

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Well not to get into a whole fuel thing here but...

Octane in fuel is reduced over time due to temperature and atmospheric conditions. In a given night, your fuel could be reduced even 2 or 3 octane ratings. If your bike is in a heated environment, it could drop even more.

I just don't like the gas prices right now and this is my way of getting the most bang for my buck. If gas prices were more trivial, it wouldn't bother me but still the higher octane is best for the injectors so I'd always be mindful.
Hmm...it is possible for it to reduce inAKI, but overnight seems like a very short time for it to do this. Maybe if it sat all winter, but I doubt it would do it as quickly as overnight. The fuel would have to destabilize quite a bit for this to happen...So are you suggesting that from the refinery, through the pipelines, to the distributors, and to the pump the gasoline loses a significant amount of it's AKI? I think if it happened that quickly, people wouldn't have such large capacity fuel tanks on their cars because of the chance of the reduced AKI over a matter of dayscausing an engine knock... I get that in the high temperatures, the light-ends will evaporate more quickly that in colder temps, which would eventually cause a decrease in the AKI, and I get that the higher octane fuels have more detergents in them which is in turn better for the injectors. It's just the overnight thing that's got me...

Old 04-04-2008, 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: Icefox

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Well not to get into a whole fuel thing here but...

Octane in fuel is reduced over time due to temperature and atmospheric conditions. In a given night, your fuel could be reduced even 2 or 3 octane ratings. If your bike is in a heated environment, it could drop even more.

I just don't like the gas prices right now and this is my way of getting the most bang for my buck. If gas prices were more trivial, it wouldn't bother me but still the higher octane is best for the injectors so I'd always be mindful.
Hmm...it is possible for it to reduce inAKI, but overnight seems like a very short time for it to do this. Maybe if it sat all winter, but I doubt it would do it as quickly as overnight. The fuel would have to destabilize quite a bit for this to happen...So are you suggesting that from the refinery, through the pipelines, to the distributors, and to the pump the gasoline loses a significant amount of it's AKI? I think if it happened that quickly, people wouldn't have such large capacity fuel tanks on their cars because of the chance of the reduced AKI over a matter of dayscausing an engine knock... I get that in the high temperatures, the light-ends will evaporate more quickly that in colder temps, which would eventually cause a decrease in the AKI, and I get that the higher octane fuels have more detergents in them which is in turn better for the injectors. It's just the overnight thing that's got me...

Same thing I was thinking, just didn't feel like arguing the point. Let him think what he wants.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

I have to admit I'm somewhat jealous of the F4i guys... that fuel gage is pretty damn nice if you forget to reset your trip meter.
HaHa good point....She always resets after a fill up. FIrst time i did it, i reset, but didnt realise it took about a mile or so before that fuel gauge thingy went off, LoL...I was like WTF thhe reserve is still on. She laughed at me when i told her what i did with her bike.....Its all good though, she knows i'll spank that azz.....=-)

Best christmas present i ever bought her. When she's done with it, imma stret fight it. She'll get the 954 and i'll get the F4izzy......Damn i cant wait...=-)