CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Chain clickin noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chain clickin noise?

ORIGINAL: BrewCity954

Well when it finally gets warm out again
Yeah! WTF!!! Milwaukee blows!!!!!!! It teases us with nice warm weather, then BAM! stupid weather.

Anyway, you can get some chain wax from Southeast sales (76th just south of Good Hope) or another dealer. You can loosen the chain up and clean it with kerosene, then chain wax the crap out of it after a 10 minute ride, like Erion929 suggested.

If you decide you need a new chain, I should be coming into posession of a chain breaker/riveter sometime in the near future... I'm over on the East Side...

Old 04-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Banned

I love chain wax.

Reminds me of kindergarten.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:33 AM

ORIGINAL: nikos

ORIGINAL: BrewCity954

Well when it finally gets warm out again
Yeah! WTF!!! Milwaukee blows!!!!!!! It teases us with nice warm weather, then BAM! stupid weather.

Anyway, you can get some chain wax from Southeast sales (76th just south of Good Hope) or another dealer. You can loosen the chain up and clean it with kerosene, then chain wax the crap out of it after a 10 minute ride, like Erion929 suggested.

If you decide you need a new chain, I should be coming into posession of a chain breaker/riveter sometime in the near future... I'm over on the East Side...
Southeast is the only place I have ever taken my bikes too. They are good ****. I'll see what happens here, its supposed to be nice again next week....lets keep our fingers crossed.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:27 AM

My CBR954 started making this sound to and after having a buddy roll the bike I tracked it down to the countershaft sprocket area. Ok so we took off the cover and lifted the back tire and rolled it, sure enough that’s where the sound is coming from.
Then without losing a finger I placed my finger over the washer that holds the sprocket in place with the 14mm bolt and I noticed that when the tire is rolled the sprocket shifts on the countershaft ever so often.
Not a big deal maybe the 14mm bolt needs to be tighter nope it was nice and tight, so I unbolted it and retighten it and same thing. Make note my counter shaft bearing is tight with no up and down or in and out play.
Then I unbolted it again took a look at the washer and you can see where it was polished slightly from the little bit of play that the sprocket has when placed over the shaft splines. So I flipped over the washer and now the sound is gone.
when the 14mm bolt is all the way tighten it does not mash down hard on the sprocket it really tightens down to the shaft and just holds the sprocket in place, hell Suzuki dirt bike use a circle for this job and the sprocket it forever sort of lose.
Now that I know what the noise is I can careless if it comes back but try doing what I said before you doubt that im right.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:05 AM

Sounds like your chain is about done. If it is clicking usually means that the clearance between the rollers and pins has increased and now they are moving and making noise. What helps take it away is a nice thick chain lube and it will add like a cushion for these rollers and will get quieter. If you are going to replace your chain be worth while to change the sprockets too. Provides best drivetrain life when you do both. But for some reason if you are slacking on the constant chain lube, the 954 seems to make chains noisy, more so than any of my other bikes.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:39 AM

Less then 2K on my chain and sprockets...but i found my noise and fixed it (covered it up)anyhow.
I think that maybe some counter shaft sprockets dont fit over the counter shaft splinesas tight as the OEM.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going out to go buy a stand and I'll try flipping that washer and relubing the chain to see if it helps.