CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Weird 954 problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird 954 problem

Bike has been running perfect. Yesterday, didnt hear the fuel pump kick on. Tried several times and still no go. So i start troubleshooting........Bank angle sensor, i unplugged and jumped the 2 outer wires (just to eliminate the BAS as a potential problem), still no FP prime.....Ok, keeping the BAS bypassed from here on.....Next up, i unplugged the FP at the plug and just hardwired it to my battery. FP cuts on perfect, still bike does not crank (turns over, but no crank)....Ok now i break out the voltage meter....Check voltage at the BAS plug, and the voltage is perfect.....Check voltage at the fuel pump plug and there is NO voltage........Any ideas as to why there is no voltage at the plug?...Also, any ideas as to why it doesnt crank even with the FP hard wired to the battery..........Bike was running perfect, this just happened after i killed it....=-)

Old 03-23-2008, 03:40 AM
Default RE: Weird 954 problem

Did you check your fuses?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:40 AM

Same thing happend to my bike, drove me nuts!, sounds like it's your ignition switch, there is a resistor on theelectrical portion of the switch, it went bad. should have 9.0volts @ the pink wire you probably have 12.0v. the ECM needs to see the 9.0v otherwise you will not get or fuel pump and injector pulse. Thanks why when you jump the fuel pump it still won't start.I had to get a new lock set but I think now you can get just the resistor from honda.

And make sure you have power to all your fuse FIRST!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 PM

All of the fuses are good, also fuel cut relay appears to be working correctly. Can i test the voltage from the ignition with my VMM, just to see if myabe thats a problem....=-)

Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 AM

I don't know man, sounds weird. You choose a good title for your posting. I'll have to check my manual tomorrow and trace. I think that sometimes the hot wire for coils may also run the ignition. But i'm not sure on the 954. So far sounds like you are doing this correctly. But i think that you are doing things in the wrong order maybe? Instead of just jumping from component to component guessing what it could be. Start with fuel pump since you know it isn't getting any power and trace the circuit back all the way to the battery to figure out why it is doing this. Jumping around sometimes works out and sometimes makes it take longer since you are just jumping around and can more easily miss something and cause more headache. Well goodluck and i'll try to help figure this stuff out for you

Old 03-26-2008, 04:02 PM

ReSpEcT,
Yes, you can ck it w/ you multimeter, that's the proper way!,sorry I got back to sooo late.
So you know it's not in the service manual, it says nothing about what voltage you should have! here ck. this out....http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...R_-_TOP_BRIDGE I believe this is what you need.(assuming that you don't have the correct voltage)..............Good luck!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM

9.37 volts is on the pink wire at the ignition switch...Im guessing the resistor isnt my problem.....Damn it, anymore ideas....=-)

Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Sh-t! I thought for sure that was it. hummmm....How 'bout the kill switch? try jumping it and see if your fuel pump primes when you turn on the key.
What is your voltage do have @ the battery? Quick question... does the engine turn over(spins) when you press the starter button? but doesn't start,right? Is this bike stunted? beat on? left outside? a salvaged bike? I don't mean any dis-respect,
Just want to make sure we're on the same page. Did you check for any fault codes? under the seat there is a connector w/ 2 wires on, it jump it and then turn on the ignition sw. and count the blinks. You have a service manual?

Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 PM

Havent tried the kill switch yet...No fault codes at all...Bike is MINT, never wrecked, never stunted, clean title....Like i said, worked one minute and didnt work the next, LoL......=-)

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 PM

Do you have a power commander installed? if you do disconnect it.

Quick Reply: Weird 954 problem