CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Chain clickin noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain clickin noise?

Well I pulled my bike out yesterday to wash it, and noticed when I move the bike there is a very audible clicking or more like a knocking noise that seems to go along with the chain. The faster I move the bike (by hand) the more often it gets. I just had my chain adjusted last week, and it wasn't making any noise until yesterday. It almost sounds like its coming from inside the housing where the front sprocket comes out of? At first I thought maybe the chain was too tight so I adjusted it a bit looser and the noise seemed to get a little quieter, but still audible. The noise also kind of got quieter when I would have the bike in gear and move it with power.

Any ideas on what this could be? The bike only has 8800 miles on it.

PS: It was adjusted by the dealership last week during a safety check

Old 04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Chain clickin noise?

chain is either to lose or to tight if it's loud.. you will hear the chain move over the slider and sprockets if it's quiet out tho

Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM

Check on the swingarm where the settings are for the chain. It might just need to be replaced. When the chain is stretched to its max it will rub the plastic near the front sproket.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:52 PM

It is rubbing the plastic but the wear indicator isn't indicating anywhere near needing a replacing. Never heard of a chain going out this soon

Old 04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

Yeah I was going to say - whena chain needs replaced it sounds like hell. It's also a bit difficult to hear by yourself - without a helmet on anyway. If someone is riding behind you though, it's LOUD and sounds crap.

The tension indicators are great for what they do, but they won't tell you if it's just a crap chain. What kind of chain are we talking here?

If it's been in the elements and not cleaned it can seriously reduce the life expectency on the rollers themselves, which is usually what makes that nasty sound. Try rolling each one of the rollers between your fingers and see that they are very smooth. If you got your chain wet when you washed your bike you could have also sprayed debris INTO the rollers and then there's just nothing you can do but replace the chain. I wouldn't imagine cleaning it would get everything out and you'd probably always hear noises even if you did clean it - that's IF you got stuff in there.

High pressure hose? Not keeping chain clean? Combination of everything... nothing?

Old 04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Banned

Wear indicators*

Old 04-09-2008, 02:29 PM

well aint that some ****... I just washed my bike today and now its making the same noise

Definetly not my chain cause its brand new (less then 3000 mi.)

Old 04-09-2008, 03:10 PM
Banned

Maybe it's just leftover moisture inside the rollers. I'm guessing some highway time might cure your problems?

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM

^^ possible, but i loosened the chain a little bit and covered it in chain wax, then wiped it... Its now silent as can be

Old 04-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Well when it finally gets warm out again I'll relube it and take it out to see if it goes away

Quick Reply: Chain clickin noise?