CBR 929RR 2000 - 2001 CBR 929RR Forum

Bike overheating.. Im lost please help i will donate!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 74demon. Might want to catch that drip in the 1st pic.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Project96
+1 74demon. Might want to catch that drip in the 1st pic.
yeah, i saw that when i took the pic. the bolt probably inst even tight. it's a spare that i need to build someday. good eyes though!

Name:  motor.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  66.1 KB

Old 01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Default spark plug help

Plugs are (IMR8C-9H) or (IMR9C-9H).
VERY WRONG ABOUT THE PLUGS!!!

The IMR8C-9H are for a dirt bike or 250cc application.

NGK.com - Vehicle Fitting Results

NGK CR9EHI-9H or CR8EHIX-9H is the correct spark plugs for your application(CBR 929RR). The stock number is #6216.

NGK.com - Vehicle Fitting Results

The iridium's are worth the extra $$$$($1.13 per plug).

Do you have the tool kit that came with the bike? If so there is a plug tool in the kit that works great.
The factory tool works well because it is easy to get in and out. After you get the radiator dropped down, there will be wires that are plugged in on top of the coils. Remove them and REMEMBER which ones they were plugged into.(I wrote on mine in silver Sharpie 1,2,3,4). Once they are unplugged, remove the coils simply by pulling them. They are kind of tricky to get out of the tight space but for coils 1 and 4 angle them into the middle of bike(towards 2 and 3 or inboard). After the coils are out then drop down into the hole where the coils came from a spark plug socket. Then drop down a medium extension/spark plug tool from factory kit. Then attach a ratchet to the top of extension or in case of the factory tools there is a open end/close end wrench that will fit. Loosen the spark plug and remove the extension/spark plug socket piece by piece teh same way your dropped them in(this is where one of those telescoping magnetic tools comes in to play). Insert new spark plug slowly(either by the telescoping tool or by inserting into spark plug socket). **Strongly recommended not to just drop plug** I always try to turn the spark plug counter-clockwise (or loosening) so I don't crossthread it. After plug is in tighten(but not too tight). 1/4-1/2 turn past crush washer starting to seat. Repeat X4. Replace coils(you will have to kind of push down and should feel them "seat". It is okay if you can spin them around once fully seated) Replace coil wires. Replace radiator. I would recommend starting and seeing how it runs now instead of after replacing all fairings and so on incase soemthign is wrong. Hope this helps.

I will not be posting pictures. 74demon might since he has an unmounted engine. Sorry but it is 19 degrees out, my bike is stored outside under a cover and I am at work.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:31 AM

1SICKG - did you ever check the water pump to ensure it was actually moving the coolant ?

Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 AM

I only ask because I've seen guys bang their heads for weeks on issues and then its something very common... e.g. (water pump, fan, sensor etc..)

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM

You need iridium plugs but if you think that there is only one plug per bike you are wrong. If you look carefully the plug you have listed also fits a dirt units. One plug can & does fit many units. It would be cost prohibitive to Honda to make one plug for each individual unit. That plug fits 2000-2001 CBR 929RR/RE, 2004-2009 CRF 250R & X models as well as 2002-2003 CBR 954. The plugs I listed are correct. I am sitting here looking at a factory Honda service fiche right in front of me & that plug is exactly what they have listed.

To the OP, go to your local dealer & ask for plugs for your application. Stay away from Champion & make sure to get the iridium's.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:55 AM

Plugs are (IMR8C-9H) or (IMR9C-9H). Do you have the tool kit that came with the bike? If so there is a plug tool in the kit that works great.

NO!!!!!! i wish i had the original manual and tool kit that came with the bike!! like i said the person that had it before me was a moron and didnt really take care of it .. thats why im stuck this year doing insane amount of maintenance on it... if you can send me a link id be more than happy to purchase it ... cause it looks like a tight squeeze but i have no idea how to even get to them yet...

Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 AM

Pick you up a deep socket set, worth every penny! Also, if you pull your starter coils off temporarily its a little easier from the top side of the valve cover.. just make sure you label one or the other with a mark "L" or "R" so you don't mix them up..

Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM

You need iridium plugs but if you think that there is only one plug per bike you are wrong. If you look carefully the plug you have listed also fits a dirt units. One plug can & does fit many units. It would be cost prohibitive to Honda to make one plug for each individual unit. That plug fits 2000-2001 CBR 929RR/RE, 2004-2009 CRF 250R & X models as well as 2002-2003 CBR 954. The plugs I listed are correct. I am sitting here looking at a factory Honda service fiche right in front of me & that plug is exactly what they have listed.

To the OP, go to your local dealer & ask for plugs for your application. Stay away from Champion & make sure to get the iridium's.
The plugs you listed are twice as expensive as the ones I listed and if your cross reference the Denso IUH27D that the CBR Manual(the one that comes with your motorcycle)says is recommended, for NGK it gives you the CR9EHI-9H or CR9EHIX-9H. I am looking at the cross reference guide right here.

Don't buy your plugs from a motorcycle dealership. They will charge you WAY too much. I bought all 4, CR9EHIX-9H, from Advanced Auto for under $30. One at a Stealership will cost you $20. I give you good ways to save money with references.

Last edited by Trey929RR; 01-04-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: quote...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:01 AM

AS FAR AS THE PLUGS... i ordered the plugs directly from NGK (iridium) and made sure its the right ones =)... can anyone link me where i can actually get this factory tool i really dont wanna have trouble with these plugs

Quick Reply: Bike overheating.. Im lost please help i will donate!!