CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting problems

Pull your carbs and clean the slow jets. Amazingly the job isn't too bad if you have a good assortment of tools. Get a light to see with and a long phillips screwdriver for the clamps. A mirror is helpful to peek under there too. You can also access the drain screws (regular?) from the side of the bike to drain the gas from each bowl. Take the gas tank, airbox, hoses, canister and cowl side covers, brackets etc.and other crap in the way off. No getting around it. Make sure and remove the petcock plastic **** before removing tank. Loosen the carb clamps (yes you may have to lay on the ground several times during the procedure) and carefully but firmly pull and wiggle the bank of carbs and "pop!" they'll pop off and they pop back on pretty easy after. Check the intakes for dropped parts before putting them back. I left the throttle cable connected and just flipped em sideways and worked on them on top of the bike (had to undo the choke cable and tons of vacuum hoses, but there was a hose diagram on the airbox). Get a can of chem dip to soak the jets (4 main/needle, 4 slow jets) for an hour or so. I used a thin strand of copper wire from a speaker wire to gently and carefully run through the slow jets to loosen the crud and blow them clear.They were totally clogged. Clean the bowls with q-tips. I reused the gaskets and there's no leaks. I didn't spend a dime on this repair (I had the tools and chem dip already). Took about a day including a break and dip in the pool while the jets soaked. Bike runs like new again.

Just remember there are plenty of small delicate and plastic parts that can be broken, ruined or stripped out if you aren't careful. If you wreck the carbs you will hate yourself and want to die.

Don't bother trying to remove the float bowls with the carbs installed, not worth the hassle trust me. There's a screw blocked by a coolant fitting anyway (at least on mine there was).