General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting Problems

Old 05-31-2006, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

How many cranks should you be able to get out of the battery before it'll die???

I had my battery off my bike and it tested good a couple weeks ago. Had my bike out yesterday and when I came home from riding the idle was a little off so I adjusted it and I probably shut the bike on/off 4 or 5 times to set it right (says to shut it off/on in the manual).

I went to go start it today and the gauges came on & so did the headlight, but when I went to start it the cluster went off like there wasn't enough power and it didn't turn over.
So then my dad threw it on the charger and said it was charged in no time......so he says it's not the battery.
The connections were tight & good on the battery too. It ran 100% fine when the battery was (charged) put back in the bike.

So if it's not the battery, what could be draining all the power???
I was just gonna go thru the Service Manual and check the starter relay and some diode or something like it says.

This happened a month ago too, and I thought it was the battery and then had it charged & it ran fine when I put it back in. And then after that it was tested and it was good.
I dunno....I just think that restarting it 4 or 5 times shouldn't be enough to kill the battery though. Assuming there is another problem.

Any other suggestions???

Old 05-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Starting Problems

Do you have any after market lights installed that might be being left on?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Default RE: Starting Problems

LOL...no

Went thru the manual and tested everything & everything came back okay. No blown fuses, okay on the battery leakage, the battery has the right voltage, & the battery charges back up correctly when the bike revs up (so it's not the stator or rectifier)

The only last option is that maybe there actually is a problem with the battery....it's probably the original one that came with the bike....gonna check it in a couple days & check to see if it's losing voltage