CBR 900RR 1993 - 1999 Honda CBR 900RR

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problems

Ok i have a 1998 cbr 900 rr that has been sitting aprox. 4-5 months. I can start it but i have to prime it with a starting fluid or liquid wrench. Once i have it strating to idle i have to rev the engine up (3000-7000rpm i dont take it any higher) and then it will run but i have to keep revving it i cant let it idle or it will cut off. i am gettting good spark getting fuel to the carb inlet tee's ( the things that sit between the carbs) and getting plenty of air. Just not understanding what could be wrong also i am using a high 93 octane fuel)

possibilitys

-Carbs need ajusting
-Jets clogged
-idles screw ajusted incorrectly
-???

Old 10-12-2006, 11:50 PM
Default RE: Starting problems

dont quote me but my .02 is the gas crystalized in the carbs-- simple terms your carbs sound gunked up...try and clean them really good...did you put fuel treatment in it before it sat that long??

maybe??

Old 10-13-2006, 09:34 AM

do i need to tear the carbs down or could i run some high octane cleaner stuff through it would that work. no i didnt put any treatment in it before i let it sit i had wrecked it and didnt know if i was going to fix it stupid mistake on my part. thanks for then .02 if anybody has anyother ideas i am open to them so i dont have to send to mech.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:40 AM

Do you have at lest 1/2 of a tank?
I was low like 1/8-1/4 and couldnt start it. I could hear thegas but i guess there wasnt enought
How old is the fuel?

I have a 1999 CBR900, yellow/blk. Oooo Ahhhh

Nice to meet you.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 AM

If the gas is old. Maybe drain it out and puit a gallon in and see what happens.
I have lots of manuals for the cbr900

Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 AM

ok i emptied the fuel filled with 2.5 gallons and cleaned the plugs tried to start it no go. i can sit there spray carb and choke cleaner in the airfilter box and it will idle at like 200 rpm but it wont without the crab and choke cleaner the cars are super clean also fuel runing threw the fuel filter.

-what would make the carbs not pull fuel threw them.
-is there such a thing that resets the vacum (think a guy was ****ing with me)
-it ran fine when i shut it off after i wrecked it
-is there a fuse that would do this ( seeing that the bike might run off of compression with all the carb cleaner i sprayed in there)

Old 11-10-2006, 01:49 AM

Is your fuel filter clean? Also, have you tried to adjust your idle yet?

had these things wrong with my bike recently...

Old 11-10-2006, 10:44 AM

yes the filter is clean and the idle screw shouldnt matter if i am reving the engine to try and get it to run. right? i thought i would need the bike running in order to adjust the idle screw.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:14 PM

It's a 1998 CBR900rr with a TPS sensor.... a couple months doesn't really gunk up too badly on a carb if the bike is stored in proper temperature settings. Although it's hard without looking or hearing a motor in person, some of the possibilities from the specific year or the bike can be as follows:
1. Check your Vaccuum line to your petcock. Some people have tried taking out the diaphram (I do not admise this) to have it free flow. Instead, just disconnect the line and add a longer one and apply vaccuum (with a syringe or mouth) and make sure gas is flowing out of the tank.
2. TPS sensor is stuck - rarely heard of but possible.
3. Place your petcock on reserve while testing!
4. I don't remember if your year had a fuel pump, but if it does, there's a way to jumper wires to run the fuel pump to test flow/pressure.

The other factors are things you seem to have tested for already... spark, ignition, etc. Start from cheap/easy to harder more costly checks.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gonna have to remove the cars and clean them. Sounds to me that your secondary jets are plugged. This is very common for bike that has set up for awhile. The best way to clean you secondary jets are to use one of the bristles form a wire brush. Thats the smallest kinda needle Ive been able to find to clean secondary jets. Just run the needle through there and give it a quick spray of carb cleaner, hold it up to the light to make sure its clean. It probably wouldn't hurt to check your main jets to while yoour in there, but youll need a torch tip cleaner to clean those.

Quick Reply: Starting problems