CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Tachometer for tuning carbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 05:13 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are going to want to use #2 as your base. You sync the #1, #3 and #4 to
match it. With the guages hooked-up and the bike warmed-up and running.
Just try turning the adjuster and watch the guages. You'll quickly see which way
the vacume draw adjusts, in response. Then, just hop back and forth and bring
1-3-4 into alignment with #2.

Hope this gets you headed in the right direction.

Ern

Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was out of town for business so i came back and finished my synchronization. It's much better now. I've already done with valve clearance checking. So my bike is almost ready for summer 3 or 4 weeks later I'm going to change my oil and again check the synchronization.

It's alreday around 80 degrees in florida so its time to ride

Old 02-25-2012, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Grkan13
It's alreday around 80 degrees in florida so its time to ride
Yeah go ahead and rub it in. It's still in the 30's here and we have yet to take ours out for a thorough test ride yet, we still need to get it insured and put plates on it. My son will be home for spring break in a couple weeks and I'm leaving the enviable job of piecing the fairing together to him.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
On page 18-9 of the shop manual it mentions a test point for diagnoxing the Tachometer. You can use your Actron meter on that test point for reading the engine RPM. One of these days I'll attach a wire and leave it hanging down so I have access to this point without having to remove the upper cowl. It's funny how hind-site is 20/20.

great thread,SORRY to bring it up again!
i am going to check/re-arrange my shims for clearance (probabaly have to order a few new ones knowing my luck!)
maybe buy a compression tester and take compression readings for future reference???---> good idea or waste of money?
put new oil/filter in (air filter is fine,1 year old)
use my carbtune pro to ballance the carbs,
then try this brilliant idea to help to set the fuel/air mixtures.
only problem is my mulimeter-
318 Digital LCD multimeter
as it does not measure Hertz,which is what i need it to measure,correct??
i would require a different multimeter or a rev counter (
Tachometer) more sensitive to be able to see a 50 RPM drop/gain.
is this correct guys? or is there a way to use my rapid 318 mulimeter,sorry when it comes to electrics im

ride safe,and enjoy,

Ant

Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 AM

I'm not savvy with electronics so I really couldn't tell you if the multi meter you have could be used as a tach. My meter has more functions than I know what to do with or how to use those different functions. I remember when I first researched this I did run across an article where someone used a meter that didn't have an actual tach function on the meter but came up with a way of using it anyhow as a tach but I don't remember how and i don't have a link to the article. However the article may be of no use to you anyhow being yours doesn't read Hertz because that may be the key, I really don't know.

As far as purchasing a compression tester I think it's a good investment and a "must have" for anyone who does there own maintenance on their bike even if all you do is preventive maintenance. It's just another basic tool that allows you to get a general idea of the health of your engine.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by f3cbrAnt
only problem is my mulimeter-
318 Digital LCD multimeter
as it does not measure Hertz,which is what i need it to measure,correct??
i would require a different multimeter or a rev counter ([/SIZE][/FONT]Tachometer) more sensitive to be able to see a 50 RPM drop/gain.
is this correct guys? or is there a way to use my rapid 318 mulimeter,sorry when it comes to electrics im

ride safe,and enjoy,

Ant

I looked at the specs of your meter, and no, you can't use it for setting the RPM's. You'd need a meter that either is specifically designed to do RPM's, or it's possible that you could have a meter that's capable of reading HZ and use a formula to convert it to RPM's. Easier to get one that is purpose built for measuring RPM's I think.

Doing the Idle Air Mixture adjustment is not an easy one. You'll find that the idle fluctuates a fair amount normally, making a 50 RPM difference tough to see.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:47 AM

thank you guys,very much appreciated.was the answer i thought,nice to check with the pro's though