CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Oil/Coolant mixed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IanCBR600F3
After a long week of working out of town Im finally home with my baby!... and my g/f lol

So I took the Oil Cooler off today and had a look at those gaskets/o-rings.
They look pretty warn. Im not sure if I could clean them up and re-use them. I could always buy them but im cheap and well... I dont want to wait.
Any ideas? Could I just clean them up?

Now onto the water pump. As soon as I took it off I could see that there was that "gunk" in it. Im not 100% sold that there is a problem with it though. Any way to check this?

Next is the thermostat. I wish I took a picture of it when I first took it out. It was stuck open and the rod was bend. I pulled on the rod and it snapped shut. When I tested it on the stove it didnt open at all. My guess is that its shot.

I took the radiator off and was going to clean it up. A buddy of mine said to check and make sure it passes water. Hooked up a hose and nothing comes out the other end. I let is sit all week on its side and when I picked it up today "gunk" poured out. I might try it again now that it out. Any ideas?

Lastly Im considering painting the headers. I cleaned them up with sand paper but I think I might like the look of them being black. Im guessing I would just need some high temp paint but any pointers?

Again thank you guys a ton! You guys are great! A+++
Do you guys know what part number the orings are in the pics? I'm on service Honda wanting to order new ones and such. If not then I can take a look at other website. Diagrams are harder to read for the oil cooler parts than I thought

Old 07-24-2012, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4ws.ba4 F3
Hey bud, this is the place i bought mine. fast shipping and they had everything I needed.

OEM Parts Honda CBR600F3 1996 CRANKCASE SET - Cheap Cycle Parts

The pieces i bought are as follows:
#12 , 4 #34's , #35, and im not sure, cant find the receipt, but 2 #36's. I belive that will be enough to to get her holding its oil from coolant. Really study these diagrams, see if there's anything else you may need and make one order. any other questions at all just ask well do our best to help ya out. good luck
Here you go man. This is where I got mine. Took awhile to get here. You might be able to find them from another place but they have the part numbers. Put mine on my bike and are working great!

Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM

Allright guys finally got the new R/R and the new thermostat in. And my bike is still overheating?!?! I dont get it. Its like 70 degrees here. The temp gauge is at about 1/4 and yet I can hear it hissing and my radiator cap is overflowing.(Brand new cap). Also I noticed my coolant overflow is WAY past the high mark. I will drain it and check to see if it is still overheating but would that do it?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 AM

Allright so I figured out that the thermostat I put in was faulty. Got a new one on the way. But before figuring this out...
Driving to a friends. Bike running at 3/4 mark. Coolant overflow was way past the high mark still. I get half way there and my bike starts to bog like its not getting fuel. Also hesitating. Give it throttle and nothing then randomly takes off. So I start to pull over to look at it and it dies before I stop. I roll into a driveway and it wont start. Turnes over but nothing. Choke it and still nothing. SO I tow it to a buddies house were we charge the battery(Stopped turning over bc of dead battery) Flush the radiator and all hoses, drain the overflow, and chop the exhaust while we were at it. Try to start it with full choke and it turns over but will only start if I give it throttle while starting. Then will warm up. Stay running and the second I start to turn the choke down it dies. So I take it out with full choke. Then when I slow down to stop it dies unless I rev it.
ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 05-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Hey bud, this is the place i bought mine. fast shipping and they had everything I needed.

#12 , 4 #34's , #35, and im not sure, cant find the receipt, but 2 #36's. I belive that will be enough to to get her holding its oil from coolant. Really study these diagrams, see if there's anything else you may need and make one order. any other questions at all just ask well do our best to help ya out. good luck

Can any1 confirm the 0-rings as stated earlier. Dropped my bike off today for repair and tune up. Ordering parts today. Making sure I'm not at the shop longer than necessary Thanks

Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 PM
Default Thanks

Wow this helped a ton. I had the exact same issue when I bought my bike. It overheated and spit coolant out of the cap. Had a brown milky substance in the coolant but the oil was clean. After trying things I thought it was I read this post. Pulled everything apart last night and sure **** the orings and flat orings were bad. I also just replaced the thermostat but decided to pull it out so I could take a hose and rinse all that out of the cooling system and the fricken thing was wide open and bent!

Anyway the parts are on the way and while the radiator is getting boiled and tested I'm having the exhaust cleaned. I also have a brand new faring coming so the bike should look brand new when I'm done.

Anyway thanks for posting, im sure its helping a bunch of people out.