CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Oil/Coolant mixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil/Coolant mixed

I have had many problems with my bike so far. Overheating being the main issue. I took off the hose that goes to the water pump from the block and yellow gunk started coming out...

I flushed the system and now a week later it starts over heating again and my radiator overflows and sprays out of my radiator cap... yellow gunk again. I was told that this is most likely a result of a blown head gasket. So I start to strip the bike so that when I can pick up a head gasket I can get it right in.

Name:  photo3.jpg
Views: 3874
Size:  121.5 KB

This is where I am at currently...

Name:  photo4.jpg
Views: 3518
Size:  143.5 KB

Yes, before anyone says anything. I am going above and beyond what I need to do. But I also want to do some cleaning and painting while Im going this far so I thought what the hell.

Alright so I get this far and call it a night...
Then I look at my service manual and see other things listed for troubleshooting a mix of coolant and oil. One being a bad water pump. SO I run outside and inspect the telltale hole on the bottom of the water pump... yup its leaking...
So my mechanical gasket is bad and I have to replace my water pump.
(To top it all off I looked at my thermostat while I was in that area and... stuck open and bent all to hell. Looks like im adding that to my ebay shopping cart)

So I guess my question here is...
While I have it this far apart should I replace the head gasket anyways. Or do you think it is just the thermostat and water pump causing the issues and that should do it?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 AM

52 views and 0 replies?

I hope somebody can help me out lol

Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you haven't pulled the heads, I would say repair the known issue and see if that
takes care of the problem. Head gasket, while (relatively) in-expensive is a major PITA
and a ton of work, to deal with.

I'd recommend doing all of the little things you had in mind and then sewing her back up.
I would also suggest, going ahead and replacing the pressure cap, it's cheap and on
an older bike not a bad idea.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 05-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Dont take it personal. At the time of this post, there are only 45 members online, and 547 guests that cant post!

As far as your bike goes...
Tough call, but you gotta decide if you want to get into the motor at this point of teardown. If it were mine, id do the pump and see what happens. Unless the motor is already apart.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 AM

Well I already replaced the Cap but for all I know it has become damaged by overheating and releasing. I will look into that also.
As for the motor, all that is dissembled so far is the head cover is off. I will put that back on and try the new water pump, thermostat , and radiator cap first.
Thanks for the help guys.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, had the same issues when i bought my bike last year. Its your oil cooler leaking oil into your coolant. if you look at your dipstick, you will see just oil without coolant. this is how you know that your head gasket is ok. You need to order a few gaskets and o rings for inside the oil cooler. its located at the front of motor, and is enclosed around a coolant bath. I Know that is your problem, i had to change out my oil coolers O-rings and get a new water pump, but its what you need without a doubt. Mine has been great since this bit of work was finished.

Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Wow if thats it haha

I looked on ebay and such and cant just find the orings though. I might have to buy the whole assembly

Last edited by IanCBR600F3; 05-06-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:31 PM

Hey bud, this is the place i bought mine. fast shipping and they had everything I needed.

OEM Parts Honda CBR600F3 1996 CRANKCASE SET - Cheap Cycle Parts

The pieces i bought are as follows:
#12 , 4 #34's , #35, and im not sure, cant find the receipt, but 2 #36's. I belive that will be enough to to get her holding its oil from coolant. Really study these diagrams, see if there's anything else you may need and make one order. any other questions at all just ask well do our best to help ya out. good luck

Last edited by 4ws.ba4 F3; 05-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by 4ws.ba4 F3
Hey bud, this is the place i bought mine. fast shipping and they had everything I needed.

OEM Parts Honda CBR600F3 1996 CRANKCASE SET - Cheap Cycle Parts

The pieces i bought are as follows:
#12 , 4 #34's , #35, and im not sure, cant find the receipt, but 2 #36's. I belive that will be enough to to get her holding its oil from coolant. Really study these diagrams, see if there's anything else you may need and make one order. any other questions at all just ask well do our best to help ya out. good luck

After a long week of working out of town Im finally home with my baby!... and my g/f lol

So I took the Oil Cooler off today and had a look at those gaskets/o-rings.
They look pretty warn. Im not sure if I could clean them up and re-use them. I could always buy them but im cheap and well... I dont want to wait.
Any ideas? Could I just clean them up?

Now onto the water pump. As soon as I took it off I could see that there was that "gunk" in it. Im not 100% sold that there is a problem with it though. Any way to check this?

Next is the thermostat. I wish I took a picture of it when I first took it out. It was stuck open and the rod was bend. I pulled on the rod and it snapped shut. When I tested it on the stove it didnt open at all. My guess is that its shot.

I took the radiator off and was going to clean it up. A buddy of mine said to check and make sure it passes water. Hooked up a hose and nothing comes out the other end. I let is sit all week on its side and when I picked it up today "gunk" poured out. I might try it again now that it out. Any ideas?

Lastly Im considering painting the headers. I cleaned them up with sand paper but I think I might like the look of them being black. Im guessing I would just need some high temp paint but any pointers?

Again thank you guys a ton! You guys are great! A+++

Old 05-12-2012, 04:05 PM

I don't thiNk I would reuse. Gaskets of any kind when there pulled off just by new and be safe as for the water pump the whole leaking at the back indicated the bearings are wearing out its like a fail safe system kinda replace it to. As fore the headers head down to autozone and pick up some high temp black bout 7$ or so it does make them looks better

Quick Reply: Oil/Coolant mixed