CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Oil/Coolant mixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the gaskets sit in a soup bath today. Buying new ones for sure. As for the water pump I have that on order. Just waiting for it to get here. I found a picture on my phone of my thermostat that I didnt know I had.

Is that bad? lol
That is on order too.

As for the headers. I got a few coats of paint on them. We will see how they look after the clear is on
Name:  headers.jpg
Views: 1965
Size:  187.5 KB

Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Alright finally got my thermostat and water pump today.
The place I went didnt have the oil cooler gaskets in stock so I had to order those online.
I did however have some liquid gasket maker laying around so I put the bike back together and used the liquid gasket maker.

Im a little inpatient and decided to fill the coolant and oil.
I dont think that was a good idea bc the coolant immediately started leaking out of the oil cooler at the cover gasket.
I hope I didnt ruin it and it will still cure right. If not I will have to pull the headers, radiator, and oil cooler again tomorrow. We will have to wait and see.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd go with a new gasket to be safe....

Old 05-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Ian, you can take your radiator to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and flow tested, you may still be able to salvage it, either way good luck, I am new to the site but have been riding bikes for 20 years.

Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by QS103
Ian, you can take your radiator to a radiator shop and have it boiled out and flow tested, you may still be able to salvage it, either way good luck, I am new to the site but have been riding bikes for 20 years.
QS103 Thanks thats funny because I just had that done yesterday. Radiator is fine. Now I have a different problem.

Replaced the oil cooler gaskets, water pump, and thermostat. I started it and everything was running great. Then my coolant started to boil over and spray out of the radiator cap. So I burped it and it continued to do this. The weird part is that it wasnt over heating. The temp gauge was right about half way. yet I could hear the coolant boiling in the radiator. I flushed the system and replaced it with distilled water. Still boiling over and then my oil cooler started leaking again Then just my luck my battery died. My r/r is burning hot! I tested and now know that I need to replace the r/r but that wouldnt cause it to boil over.

Then today I went out after letting my battery charge overnight and I start it and let it idle... The temp gauge goes threw the roof in less than 5 min. What could possibly be the issue now? If the oil cooler is leaking will that cause it to overheat? Also why would it overflow even when its not overheating?!

Old 05-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Are the upper and lower hoses Hot?, also did he fan come on?

Old 05-26-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by QS103
Are the upper and lower hoses Hot?, also did he fan come on?
I forgot to mention my fan problems haha
My fan was not coming on so I wired it manually. I have it so that it is always running until I pick up a switch. I have it split so that it wont drain the battery when the bike is off. SO the fan is working.

Yes. ALL of the hoses are hot as hell.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM

Anybody? Its been sitting in my garage while Im out of town working. I have it on craigslist for sale. I dont have time to figure it out. If anybody has anymore ideas it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to sell it running without problems.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 PM

Just curious, you said you changed the thermostat, Is the new one working? It seems to me like there is some flow issues, Did you check the overflow bottle to see if hot coolant was going in there? If there was sludge in your water pump, no doubt it is all in your coolant flow path.

Last edited by Sinn006; 06-11-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sinn006
Just curious, you said you changed the thermostat, Is the new one working? It seems to me like there is some flow issues, Did you check the overflow bottle to see if hot coolant was going in there? If there was sludge in your water pump, no doubt it is all in your coolant flow path.

I did not test the thermostat. I assumed it would work because it was new. I will have to test it. As for the overflow, there was nothing entering the tank. I will have to check some hoses for blockage. Thanks for the ideas.
The bike is still being sold. I am moving from Ohio to Florida and dont have the means to get it there. I just want it to be running well before I sell it to someone. I wouldnt feel right selling it any other way.

Quick Reply: Oil/Coolant mixed