CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Oil/Coolant mixed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem, glad I could help. I was thinking establishing the coolant flow is kind of a "two-fer". You get to test the thermostat as well. Not only that, but a coolant flush will be more effective in removing all the gunk too. Good luck!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been out of town working. Usually out of town 3-6 weeks and home for a weekend then back out again. Dont have much time. Luckily Im at the airport right now to head back home. Then fly to SC on Sunday. I will check the thermostat and do a coolant flush tomorrow.

Stay tuned.
On our next episode of WTF is wrong now:
Test Thermostat
Coolant Flush

Old 06-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Fingers crossed.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:19 PM

Alright after months of being out of town for work... I quit my job!!! YAY!!!!
I got out of the Marines in December. I was done with the traveling and being away from home. Well so I thought till I got a new job. Im done now. Officially a student at KSU. Lots more time working on the bike now...

So where did I leave off...

Oh right.. oil cooler gaskets need replaced and now Im testing the r/r tonight.
The battery was tested(charge required) and charged.(4 hours? really?)

Bike starts right up. Still dont want to over do it till the oil cooler gaskets get here.

My question is:
It is still over heating and spraying out of my radiator cap.
Cap was replaced.
Coolant is not flowing to the overflow tank. Dont know why.
Hoses are all hot to the touch.
Would the oil cooler gaskets being blown do all of this?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 AM

When it's hot is your coolant tank bubbling?
That would be a possible sign of a bad head gasket. Also test that thermostat and radiator cap. When I was in the auto industry it was more common than you'd think to have a brand new cap or thermostat be bad. A coolant system must be under pressure or it will boil. Normally the thermostat would open to soon though and the customer would complain of poor heat.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffcbr600f2
When it's hot is your coolant tank bubbling?
That would be a possible sign of a bad head gasket. Also test that thermostat and radiator cap. When I was in the auto industry it was more common than you'd think to have a brand new cap or thermostat be bad. A coolant system must be under pressure or it will boil. Normally the thermostat would open to soon though and the customer would complain of poor heat.

When you say the coolant tank do you mean the overflow? If so then no it is not bubbling.
The thermostat is new but I will test it anyways.
The cap is new. Actually I have replaced it 3 times. All are 1:1 and brand new. I dont think that all 3 would be bad brand new.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:34 AM

It's actually a reserve but yes that tank and that's a good thing. Considering you've tried so many then your probably correct some must of been good. Check with a place like autozone and see if you can borrow a coolant pressure tester and check to make sure you are able to get the system up to the presure it should be at. Pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant and considering all the other stuff you've done I'm thinking it could be an issue. Also are you running antifreeze water mix or just straight water?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jeffcbr600f2
It's actually a reserve but yes that tank and that's a good thing. Considering you've tried so many then your probably correct some must of been good. Check with a place like autozone and see if you can borrow a coolant pressure tester and check to make sure you are able to get the system up to the presure it should be at. Pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant and considering all the other stuff you've done I'm thinking it could be an issue. Also are you running antifreeze water mix or just straight water?

I will call autozone and advance auto today to see about a tester. thanks for the advice.

Im using a 50/50 pre mixed from autozone. I looked on another post on here to get advice on which brand. I dont have the bottle laying around so I dont remember the brand.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You really should check for a blown head gasket at this point. See if auto zone has the tester for that as well. Otherwise, find a shop that can test it for you.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
You really should check for a blown head gasket at this point. See if auto zone has the tester for that as well. Otherwise, find a shop that can test it for you.

I had it tested by State 8 motorcycles. They said my head gasket is fine. Durable ****s arnt they lol

Also I just checked my r/r again. This time there is black(heat damage) on the port that connects to the r/r. One of the yellow wires. I checked all of them and they all show bad though.

Just to make sure I'm doing this right...
Leave the r/r connected to the bike. Red lead on red wire. Black on 1 of the yellows. Then the other two yellows after that? Im getting OL for all of my readings. Then black lead on red wire and red wire on yellows? Still getting all OL.

Am I doing this right?

Quick Reply: Oil/Coolant mixed