F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak

ok for those who have been following in the oil leak thread, i do not have an oil leak, its coolant. so, i dont really know where its coming from but i have taken a few pictures to show you what im looking at. keep in mind this is my first bike and i dont know much about bikes, yet...
where im pointing is where i first noticed where it was leaking from.
Name:  DSC01512.jpg
Views: 6558
Size:  145.3 KB
closer shot, you can see the coolant sitting there.
Name:  DSC01513.jpg
Views: 5455
Size:  124.2 KB
i also noticed it a bit green and moist by my other finger.
Name:  DSC01514.jpg
Views: 3408
Size:  105.0 KB
then after a closer inspection i sort of noticed an area where the coolant was running.

ok so, i didnt even clean the bike to see all of this so my question is what should i clean everything off with? soap and water fine.
second, the bike was cold and has been sitting there so i plan to run it before the next inspection. however, i want to know if there is any other way for me to get a better look. like should i remove the gas tank, and if so how do i do that, and is it hard.
get at me fellas i need your help. hopefully its a hose or gasket. what else could it be?
by the way i didnt notice anything on the right side of the bike...
peace.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the water pump. Clean it up just to be sure. But the gasket on the pump is a high possibility.

If it were the oring on the impeller inside the pump, it'd be oil leaking from the backside of the pump. That's the one I had to replace to fix my oil leak. The gasket is cheap, like $4-$6 bucks dependin who you order it from online

Old 04-01-2010, 07:49 AM

yea... well that makes ur job SOOO MUCCHHH EASIER.... thats a 10 minute gasket job... its just 2 gaskets, one large when you open it up and when you take it off, there is a back one that they recommend that you replace. it separates the water pump from the oil pump

Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered Users

U guys don't think its coming from somewhere higher cause in my last photo u can see where the fluid ran. How can I get a better view from the top? Also, do I need to flush the coolant and oil if it is the water pump like u all suggested? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 AM

The first pic is the coolant drain plug, too. There's a crush washer there that should have been replaced if the coolant was drained, but lots of folks try to use the same one over and over. Ultimately, it leaks. There should be another drain plug between the cylinders, check there. Could be as simple as bad crush washers.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Registered Users

i check the manual for the water pump and it says replace the water pump as an assembly, does that mean i need a new water pump or just get all new gaskets and washers?
randy, im not sure where you mean, between the cylinders...

Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Registered Users

never mind, it to the right of the water pump right?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:28 PM

you possibly could get a new water pump. generally those are replacement items depending on the mileage of the bike. you could just get rtv silicone pop it off clean it and sand the surfaces clean and dry

clean it down with some rubbing alchohol
then put the rtv silicone on and bolt the thing back on tight. wait 8 hours and test it out again.

leaks usually are straight forward. As long as there is no coolant in your oil or vice versa i wouldn't be too worried..

while i would be at it i would do a full coolant flush as well. just to make sure get all the gunk and build up in those lines out

Old 04-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not need a new water pump unless you have diagnosed it to have failed. The water pump (according to Honda) can't be rebuilt and must be replaced as an entire assembly when it fails.

Replace the gasket and the oring. Torque it down to spec and then see what happens. 99% sure that will end the leak.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Registered Users

ok well i cleaned it and waited like half an hour and nothing. went to work and came home to see the leak in the same spot around the water pump. i also noticed it along the stator cover. what the hell. where is it coming from. there are no hoses above the stator cover and i just dont see how it went from the water pump to the stator cover. is there coolant in the stator cover too?
anyway, i cleaned it off again and waited. nothing. started the bike until warm and nothing. walked around and nothing. so what, the gaskets???

Quick Reply: coolant leak