CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

water pump???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump???

hi guys.im getting coolent in my oil,and think it might be the water pump?engine is running fine,which is why i think its the pump.any checks i can make to test this out would be great,before i have to hand a large wedge of cash to my local honda dealer!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave , stop by the intro in the saloon , say hi , give some details like year miles
history if know etc.........best place to start out man and the welcome crew are
always hanging around with good advice and a welcoming handshake.

Easy with the trigger finger Bud

Oh and a pic says a 1000 words

Last edited by Sprock; 07-21-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave,
When this happens, there are a couple possibilities.

One is that it's the water pump seal like you said.
What you want to do is drain the coolant and oil, and remove any plastic over the water pump, and replace the pump and seals. It'll be on the left side of the bike. I'm not sure if it's as simple as just replacing the o-ring between the water and oil pumps or if the inside bearing/seal on the impeller shaft of the water pump could be the source of the leak.
Either way, it shouldn't be a tough fix. I would download the manual and just do it.
If you pull the water pump out, you may be able to tell if it's the problem.

The other possibility is that it's a head gasket.
If your exhaust smells a lot like burning coolant (kinda sweet smelling... like burning coolant..lol), or if you're seeing white smoke out the exhaust, then it's a pretty dead give away that it's your head gasket.

What bike do you have? I'm guessing a CBR100F?

I guess the other possibility is that the seals in the oil cooler are bad, but I think that generally ends with oil in the coolant rather than the other way around. Higher oil pressure there..

I would get a manual and go from there.
You can download one in the how-to/tech section.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 07-21-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 PM

you would be better off doing a leak down test this will tell you exactly where the problem is refer to your owners manual for details on this test!!!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
Administrator - Retired

DON'T RUN the engine too much while it is like that..!!
Yep, I'd heed Classic's warning on this one. In fact, I wouldn't run the engine at all until you figure out what's going on and fix it. You can screw an engine up pretty bad in little time.

And after you do find the problem, I'd flush out the oil a couple times, too.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM

this all good imformation the last thing you want to do is run the engine with coolant in it, it is probebly coming from the water pump gasket but a leakdown test would take away all of the guessing you will be able to hear where the air is leaking into the engine and where it is going!!! a compression test will do almost the same thing but it is not as thorough of a test, however the equipment for a leakdown test is hard to find and in some cases quit expensive which is strange because it is just a beeefed up comp testor

Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Administrator - Retired

a compression test will do almost the same thing but it is not as thorough of a test, however the equipment for a leakdown test is hard to find and in some cases quit expensive which is strange because it is just a beeefed up comp testor
This is true.
From the original post, I didn't think he would have access to a leak-down tester. (maybe no compressor, either?)
It seems that the water pump and seals would be an ok place to start, especially if you could get one on fleabay or something. Definately not cheap from the dealer ($200+ for the part?), but I think you can get an aftermarket one for $100-$150? Still some money, but the dealer could just swap it and soak you anyway...even if it's not the problem.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Default water pump?

hi guys i did post this before but it seems to have gone awal!!
my 1990 fl with 46000 miles has stated to turn its oil green!i think it might be the water pump,but not sure!the bike runs fine,no misfires or steam from exhaust,so dont think its the head gasket.no sludge on rad cap.very slightley oiley in the rad though!any thoughts?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:21 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this may be your lost thread Dave

Quick Reply: water pump???