CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

No brake light when applying front brakes and no horn

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake light when applying front brakes and no horn

Getting the bike ready for PA inspection and won't be able to pass unless I get these two things fixed.

First, when I apply the front brakes the tail light don't come on, but when I apply the rear brake it do. I also don't hear a clicking noise like I hear on the wife bike. Which tell me the switch could be bad?

Second, my horn doesn't work, when I got the bike thehorn didn't work, Figured it might be the horn itself, took the bike apart to replace the horn and still not working.

Isthe front brake switch and horn on the same line? Everything else electrical on the bike works, except for these two items.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:27 AM
Default RE: No brake light when applying front brakes and no horn

First things first, check your fuses. If your fuses are good then most likely it is the wire connection at the brake switch. If you look at the front brake, you will see 2 wires coming to it. Pull them off and check to see if the contacts are corroded (green or chalky like)or if the wires are broke(wiggle them gently). If the contacts are corroded, clean them with alcohol. If the wire is broke, put a new contact on it.

Do the same for you horn. Start with the fuse. If you already replaced the horn, I'm assuming the wires connected to the horn are good. The next spot to look would be on the horn switch itself. You can take the cover off by removing the 2 screws by the switch. The cover will come off and you can check the contacts of the switch. It wouldn't hurt to just clean it with alcohol since you have it open.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks, will do this weekend.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

FYI horns are crap and take craps very often. I've got probably 8 or 9 spares in my garage (they're all nicely interchangeable).

Not sure how it is in PA. But in MO when your bike is inspected, you're sitting on it. SO - if you can quickly fix your horn just go to get it inspected and keep your right foot on the peg (sos not to indicate your deception to the inspector!). When they ask for the front brake, tap the rear and use some sort of misdirection towards the front sos they're not looking at your foot! Make some comment about having just adjusted your lever and it feels weird...

Lol, I should use my powers for good and not evil.

Good luck and do what Bramm said!

Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 AM

Frontal brake light control fixed, new switch and 1 minute and it works.
Now to get the horn working and I be inspection ready.