CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Misses on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misses on cold start

O.k., so I finally got my 93 F2 some tlc. Carb clean, new rectifier, new rear pilot power, rk chain/ sprocket set. Very happy with the work. Outstanding. But I noticed that the engine misses for about 5-10 minutes from a cold start. Runs like normal after the temp bar gets just past the bottom little tick thing (under the solid white line). Before I took it in, the carbs became so clogged, I couldn't even start it. I have no doubt this Guy did them proper. But when I told them I wanted a fuel filter put in the fuel line, they said it already had a filter. So i'm wondering if there may be a bit of comprimise in fuel flow from the existing, old filter, which may be why the engine misses until it's good and warm. Anyways, I know bikes run like crap when they're cold, but do these older bikes miss like this? It was just above freezing when I started it today. Started fine with choke. A side note, there is some water vapor coming out of the exhaust and bit of water that drips from the tip. Bike sat with full tank of gas since mid november.

Last edited by outsider; 02-15-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure you have a fuel filter, as I physically had to put mine on(a Goldwing fuel filter). F2's did not come with one, so any on there would be aftermarket. I do not know why this happens, but if the filter is semi clogged on cold mornings it hesitates or misses. Some how doesn't fill the bowls properly. I know it is time to change them out when it does this. Like you said, just till the motor gets warmed up. Never would hurt to inspect the plugs too.
I had a carbed '83 Rx-7(race car) did the same thing, once that filter was swapped out for a new one, never hesitated again till it got dirty.

Old 02-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Check to make sure you have a fuel filter, as I physically had to put mine on(a Goldwing fuel filter). F2's did not come with one, so any on there would be aftermarket. I do not know why this happens, but if the filter is semi clogged on cold mornings it hesitates or misses. Some how doesn't fill the bowls properly. I know it is time to change them out when it does this. Like you said, just till the motor gets warmed up. Never would hurt to inspect the plugs too.
I had a carbed '83 Rx-7(race car) did the same thing, once that filter was swapped out for a new one, never hesitated again till it got dirty.
Thanks so much Man! I've been brainstorming, to think why it's doing this. I did ride in rain for about an hour before my last ride. During last ride for season after that, it would NOT fire on all cylinders and eventually had to ride it back home. Thinkin maybe it got water in the tank from that day, so could be part of the problem. I let it sit for about 3 months after that. I don't know why the mechanic didn't change the filter. He said there was one already in there when I told him to put one in. Strange considering I brought it in because of rubbish in the fuel system to begin with. So I narrowed it down to the filter and/or water in the tank. Runs great after warmup, so won't worry too much. I'll just give it a tuneup in a year, if it's good to me till then. Also, bike has same gas from 3 monts ago. Probably not great for it either. I'm with you on the Rx-7 thing. Had a similar problem with my Jeep Wrangler (93). Changed the filter, which was IN the fuel tank and fixed the hesitation/power problem instantly! Fuel filters in cars I think are generally neglected until there's a noticeable problem.