CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice little setup you've got going. Is the chock mounted thru the trailer's frame?

Have you used canyon-dancers b/f? I use them to strap my bikes on my trailer.

Do you have a spare tire/wheel combo for your trailer? I keep a complete spare bolted on mine for those Murphy's Law events. ;-)

Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Nice little setup you've got going. Is the chock mounted thru the trailer's frame?
Not yet - I placed VERY large fender washers under all four of the chock's mounting bolts, to help displace the pressure, and even though the floor is VERY thick, I used long enough carriage bolts, so that I can weld up a couple of flat steel pieces to the frame, and put the aforementioned large washers and nuts on the bottom side of the new reinforcements.

Have you used canyon-dancers b/f? I use them to strap my bikes on my trailer.
I have not personally used them, but if I must use straps, I hear they are definitely the way to go, and are worth the higher price.

Do you have a spare tire/wheel combo for your trailer? I keep a complete spare bolted on mine for those Murphy's Law events. ;-)
Ahhh, we think a like, and both of us apparently know that worthless buzzard named Murphy!! Yes, I am also looking for a decently priced spare trailer wheel and tire, and have already procurred an appropriately sized scissor-jack, for getting the trailer up for wheel changes. I'm not a negative pessimist, that only envisions the worst, but I have already had "what if" thoughts of being stranded on the highway, fully loaded, with a flat trailer tire!

Old 04-25-2012, 11:49 AM

The next mod is of my own fabrication, and was created for cleaning up the rear end, and yielding additional weight savings.
Since I will clearly not be taking passengers around while at the track, not to mention, I haven't had anyone riding on the back for a considerable amount of time, being that my girl has her own scoot, I decided it was time to eliminate the already modified passenger peg brackets with the billet pegs.
The only problem with this, if you don't have a shorty exhaust, that doesn't require support, is that the exhaust must still be hung from this location - I took care of that by creating an aluminum exhaust hanger, which only weighs 6 oz - it's structurally super-solid, gives the bike a more "purposeful" race look, and cuts weight from the original setup down a total of 3 lb. 7.7 oz.

I have created a template for producing more of these, if anybody is interested, and I might still try some different ideas, which will enhance the cosmetics of the part.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 02-28-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Default Safety Wire

Got a lot of items safety wired - some of which will have to be re-done, due to new components still to come before I go to the track in July, but I at least wanted to get all the appropriate holes drilled and get the logistics for how I'll be wiring each item.
Call me weird, but I forgot how soothing safety wiring things can be! What I mean, is, it's no-brainer work, so I just crank up the tunes in the garage, sip on a beverage or several (adult, of course ), smoke a few cigs, and get it done.
Another thing I had forgotten, is how hit and miss drilling through hardened steel can be - for example: ONE brand new titanium or cobalt bit won't even get a good hole started in one piece, but then, I switch to a new bit, and drill all 6 holes using the same bit! Friggin' weird - so, I also forgot that you need a good few bits around...6 was not enough!

Some items at the front of the bike - pinch bolts and axle:

Caliper banjo bolts:

Master cylinder banjo:

Last edited by JNSRacing; 05-09-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 AM
Default Safety Wire

Got the oil related items safety wired, well, not quite...I'm probably going to do another oil change very soon, so, I will wait on safety wiring the drain plug until then.

The dipstick is done:

MCRA and CMRA will require the use of a hose clamp, even for K&N filters, which have a "nut" on the end, for easy removal, and which has a hole in it for running safety wire - I can probably get by with this for the 2 track days, but if I do change the oil before these events, I'll just put the clamp on anyway, so I don't have to possibly redo something.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Default More Safety Wire

Here's some more progress with the safety wire.

Rear caliper banjo bolt:

Rear master cylinder banjo bolt:

Axle and sprocket-side chain adjuster:

Axle nut and brake-side chain adjuster:

I also got the caliper mount and pivot bolts done, but apparently, I failed to get that picture off of my camera - I'll add it later.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 AM

Yesterday, the EBC BRK15S brackets arrived, these are used to relocate the calipers for the new EBC 310mm rotors - I have the left side rotor and both new EBC pad sets on the way (right side was out of stock, but will be shipped in a week or 2) - it kinda sucks to have the brackets already, and the pads and ONE rotor this next Monday, since I can't really do anything without the second rotor!!
Also on the way, are new grips, Lucas Oil synthetic and new filter, 1 gallon of Engine Ice, and my breathable long sleeve base layer shirt for helping me in and out of my leathers.

For the bottom half, I'm going to to order Bohn's "adventure pants" - they are a breathable lycra that has significant armor padding on the hips, thighs, knee, shins, and an awesome multi-layer section protecting the tailbone.
I think I'm gonna go with the AlpineStars SMX Bionic vest for back and chest protection - with all these items under my leathers, and Held Titan gloves, and of course, my helmet and boots, I think I'll be in pretty decent shape, in the event of an off.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:00 PM

I forgot to mention, that the place I purchased the EBC pads and rotors from, has FANTASTIC prices! If there is ANYTHING I need, in the future, I will definitely check with them first, and it's easy to do so, being as you can just search for the manufacturer's part number, if you know it.
I got the pads for $26 per side, whereas a few places were around $30, and most were between $30 and $35.
The rotors range anywhere from $200 to $225 - I got them from this place for $176 per side - even though shipping wasn't free, the $10 I spent on that was clearly not an issue, based on the prices.
This is my first time buying from this merchant, so, until I receive the items, I can't yet say that everything is fine, but I did speak with someone there, and the customer service was top notch. They are not a huge outfit, and I did have to leave a voicemail, when I had an inquiry, but they got back with me quickly, with the answers I needed.

The merchant is PowersportParts.net, and their number is 512-981-6434

Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Default Christmas time!!

Things are trickling in, and by the end of this weekend, I'll have a lot more done.
The EBC caliper relocation brackets came Friday:

The left rotor and HH Sintered pads come in yesterday, but I learned that they won't receive the right rotor until after the first of next month - there is NO WAY I'm sitting on this rotor, the brackets, and pads, until then, so I ordered the right-side rotor from a different merchant - it should be here Thursday or Friday.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work, nice bike. I got a spare for my Harbor Freight folding trailer at Tractor Supply. It was $80, but Tractor Supply is on my way home from work. Harbor Freight is $49 and two and a half hours round trip out of my way, so I went with Tractor Supply. I also didnt bolt my chock to the frame, but I used small piece of plywook that acts as a big washer that covers all 4 bolt holes. And big metal washers. When I am on Afternoon or Midnight shift, every one else is at work or school, so I cant double check my stuff all the time with no interuptions.

Quick Reply: '93 F2 Mods - Phase 1