CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Short or Something?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short or Something?

So i decided to take to ole girl out for a ride this morning was about 45-50 F, took it a second to start up but she did and ran just fine. So i guess i'll get to the point here, i rode it for about 10 miles and it ran just fine and out of nowhere it lost all power and the tach jumped up to like 8k and was bouncing from there to around 12k rpm so i pulled over and stopped, when i did it sounded like it should at idle but when trying to give it gas it sounded like it wasnt firing all cylinders and i shut it off cause i wasn't sure what was going on. Sat there for a min and turned the key back on but it had no power at all no lights nothing. I sat there for about 10-15 min trying to figure out what to do cause im in the middle of the country, and turned the key back on again and had power started it and gave it a lil gas and it died and went back to no power at all, i turned the key on again and started it and it stayed running so i took it to nearest town which i know people in and took it to a friends and let it sit for awhile came back to it and started it and drove back home (About 12 mi) without a problem. Sorry for the long explanation.
Anyone know what this could have been? It is the first and only time its done this to me and i would just like to know what it could be so that way if it happens again i would be able to fix it. Thanks for all the help in advance.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to say man. I'd start by testing your coils. The procedure on how to do that is in the manual. The tach jumping is likely just a byproduct of something wrong electrically.

Shorts often blow fuses (as they are designed to do), so I am not convinced that is the culprit.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:25 PM

The same thing was happening to me a few weeks ago. What it was for me was a loose/corroded connection.
Check the 4 wires going into your starter solenoid... actually just remove the whole thing and clean all the posts with a scotch-brite pad or some sand paper.

And to be honest the problem never really fixed itself untill i bought a new starter solenoid from ebay ($10)

If it happens again while your out and stranded pop off the right rear fairing and wiggle the group of 4 wires coming off your SS.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
Hard to say man. I'd start by testing your coils. The procedure on how to do that is in the manual. The tach jumping is likely just a byproduct of something wrong electrically.

Shorts often blow fuses (as they are designed to do), so I am not convinced that is the culprit.
I checked all the fuses while i was sitting on the side of the road and none were blown, and i figured the whole tach thing was from an electrical issue somewhere, but it was just weird cause that was the first time it has ever done that and when i got it started again it ran just fine like it had before it did any of that... And i wouldn't think that if the coils went bad that when i had shut it off and turned the key back on it had no power to anything, begining to wonder if my ignition switch is starting to go bad??

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zachy72
The same thing was happening to me a few weeks ago. What it was for me was a loose/corroded connection.
Check the 4 wires going into your starter solenoid... actually just remove the whole thing and clean all the posts with a scotch-brite pad or some sand paper.

And to be honest the problem never really fixed itself untill i bought a new starter solenoid from ebay ($10)

If it happens again while your out and stranded pop off the right rear fairing and wiggle the group of 4 wires coming off your SS.
Never thought of that, i will probably go out there tomorrow during my free time and check that out, and gonna add that part to some of my winter project parts list. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 PM

Im sure i figured out what was wrong, i went to ride it today and started acting up again cleaned all the connectors and everything on the starter silenoid but it was still doing it i finally was looking at it while keeping the bike running and pushed in the fuse thats right there just to make sure it was in all the way and bike started running right well come to find out the clips that hold the fuse in have spread open and wasn't holding it tight so i rigged it up (It is still fused with the 30 amp fuse it had in it) until i get a new one and thank you Zachy72 for pointing me in that direction