F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I think I have a short...NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a short...NEED HELP

Ok here is the story. I havent ridin my 02 F4i in about a week due to the fact that i was waiting for a new tire to come in. During this time period i decided to polish the lip of my wheels. It took me about 4 days doing a couple hours each day. I would run the bike to move it into my shop and everything worked fine. My tire came in and i drove the bike from my shop to my house(about a 1/4 mile) and the bike started and ran fine. I parked it and shut it off. I moved my truck so i could load the bike. Went to go start the bike but nothin. The batteryis less than 2 months old.The tach didnt move nor did the speedo didnt race up to 180 and drop. Nothin happened but the fuel pump winding up. I then pushed started the bike and it started and ran but the tach or speedo didnt work. I ran it for about 10 mins thinking the battery was dead and it needed a charged. Then out of nowhere the bike completely died. I pulled over and shut the key off. I tried to push start it again but no go. I then charged the battery to see if that was the problem. The bike then started again like normal. I drove it about 10 miles and got some gas. Came back out and it started normal again. I then drove it home and put it away thinking everything was ok. Got up in the morning, started the back and ran back inside to get my lid. When i went back outside and i could here the bike dying again. I went to give it some gas and noticed the tach and speedo were off again. The bike then died again. I havent tried to charge it again due to the fact that i think there is a short somewhere or the battery is shot. Someone help me....

Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I think I have a short...NEED HELP

Get a multimeter, and wiring diagram of the bike (in service manual, online at stephygee.com)
Do your lights work when the tach doesnt? If so, check current flowing from battery, and then switch on high beam and check current - it should be at least a quarter more than before (assuming both bulbs are working)
Batteries can be bad too...
If you could push start when the battery was dead (was it? did you measure V>12V?) then your alternator seems to be fine

Old 07-25-2007, 05:58 PM

wow, am I reading this right or you charged your battery mad times? if it does not hold charge it could be the battery but since its new it could be the alternator. if you ever get your bike to crank again check the voltage on the alternator, i should be close/about 14Vdc.
also, check the instrument panel connnections.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:06 PM

i dont have a meter to check that. i have only charged the battery once and everything seem fine. I ran it for about 20mins and turned it off to get gas. then it started again just fine. then the next morning it started fine then died again.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:11 PM

Dude get the meter... it's like 10 bucks at radioshack. Your bike has a lot of electrics/electronics

Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM

get a meter will a ringing option... it buzzes when there is a current flow.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:43 AM

+1 for alekinci, it's useful to have the beeper

That's usually to check continuity... making sure wires are not broken... So dont attach the meter in the beep mode when the battery is in circuit or the bike is on

Old 07-27-2007, 10:32 PM

i got the bike running in top condition now. i wound up checking grounds and all wires. there was a loose wire into the alternator. im sure it was wiggling and thats why the bike worked for different periods. thanks for the help. i did buy a meter too by the way. thanks alot

Old 07-28-2007, 12:00 AM

cool
meter'll be useful for battery checks etc...