too short for my 09 600 rr

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too short for my 09 600 rr

I'm on my tippy toes! any ways to drop the tail down a little so I can reach the ground! suspension mod? anyone got any ideas??

Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ic2283
I'm on my tippy toes! any ways to drop the tail down a little so I can reach the ground! suspension mod? anyone got any ideas??
How much do you weigh? Your rear shock should have a preload adjuster and if you remove preload/soften the shock it will allow the bike to squat a little more under your weight. Most bike have a special wrench that fits the ring of the shock to set preload. I believe the ring is on the bottom on your bike.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for a lowering link, most links let you drop the bike about 3"

Old 03-09-2011, 03:06 PM

I'm 190! so loosening with allow more drop or tightening?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ic2283
I'm 190! so loosening with allow more drop or tightening?
Do you have your owners manual or a service manual?

Removing preload allows the bike to sit lower. Only adjust it one notch at a time and see how it feels. Adding preload would raise the rear of the bike. You have to watch about raising or lowering the front or rear too much because it can affect the handling of your bike.

If you are wanting your feel flat on the ground you will have to consider lowering links and changes to your front forks to keep the bike balanced.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 AM

I'm 5'5" and had my bike lowered 2" with a new dog bone. It was fairly simple to do, however I have a friend who is a mechanic at the dealership where I bought my bike put it on. I can now comfortably reach the ground without any problems and I don't have any problems with ground clearance as long as your conscious of the ground.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I am still tippy toe with my lowered bike. If I can ride my bike with tippy toe, you can too. Just ride it as it is. It is not that bad.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I am still tippy toe with my lowered bike. If I can ride my bike with tippy toe, you can too. Just ride it as it is. It is not that bad.
I'm in between flat footed and tippy toed. I'm gonna try just getting used to it. I haven't felt like it was going to cause any harm yet so I'm gonna keep the bike as is. Do the 06's have the same ability to change the preclude like the newer bikes?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Ls1Tuner_06
I'm in between flat footed and tippy toed. I'm gonna try just getting used to it. I haven't felt like it was going to cause any harm yet so I'm gonna keep the bike as is. Do the 06's have the same ability to change the preclude like the newer bikes?
I am more careful on where I stop than most people because of the reach problem, like oils, and height of the road. I really don't want to put my feet down and if I ever mess up, I know I cannot rely on my feet to save it, so I gotten better at low speed ride.

My Alpinestars boots is men's boots and it is the smallest but still one or 1/2 size bigger than my normal size. I have 2 insole to accommodate my feet. The toe on the boots is tough so I can use the toe to support me. When I come to stop, one foot touch more on the ground and other side is on the toe. When I keep one foot on the peg, sometimes I am flat feet on other side.

But it does not affect riding itself.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I am more careful on where I stop than most people because of the reach problem, like oils, and height of the road. I really don't want to put my feet down and if I ever mess up, I know I cannot rely on my feet to save it, so I gotten better at low speed ride.

My Alpinestars boots is men's boots and it is the smallest but still one or 1/2 size bigger than my normal size. I have 2 insole to accommodate my feet. The toe on the boots is tough so I can use the toe to support me. When I come to stop, one foot touch more on the ground and other side is on the toe. When I keep one foot on the peg, sometimes I am flat feet on other side.

But it does not affect riding itself.
I just realized when I rode I was wearing a pair of Nike shoes. I'm willing to bet if I got a pair of riding boots I will be ok. Never even though of that

Quick Reply: too short for my 09 600 rr