CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Bike won't stay running, help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't stay running, help

ok, I got the bike started but it would only stay running with the choke on and then eventually died. It was also spilling fuel from a line tha sits above the carb float bowls. THere are two lines there but only one was spilling fuel, they are not connected to anything so I assume they are over flow lines. I then pulled the carbs and took off the float bowls and cleaned out all the gunk......I wasn't quit sure what to do after that. I sprayed what I assumed were the jets with carb cleaner and then dryed everything with the compressor. I reassembled and tried to turn it on.......same thing......fuel was dumping out of the line and the bike would sputter if I tried to apply any throttle. I could also get the bike on with the choke off and giving it throttle.....the bike would turn on and rev up to 5-6 thousand and then if I tried to keep it revved up or apply more throttle is would sputter and shut off. Any suggestions? Maybe I should take apart the jets and clean more thoruoghly? What else can I do? Please help.I am happy she turned on at least

How do I take out the jets? how do I clean them? just let them soak in carb cleaner? Thanks in advance

Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Default RE: Bike won't stay running, help

does it idol at all?

first off fix that fuel leak its dangerous then i would investigate if your idol screw is turned all the way down. it also probably is not gettign enough fuel due to that leak.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:55 PM

It sounds like you have a stuck float in one or more carbs. You may want to try pulling the sparkplugs to see if they are wet.This will give you a clue as to which carb has the stuck float. Also check to see if your oil smells like gas. Sometimes the leak can result in a crankcase full of gas. Change the oil right away if it smells like gas.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:20 AM

I cleaned the float bowls completely.....not sure why the float would be stuck before and after. Are the lines I am explaining over flow lines for the carbs? Only one of them is dumping fuel, the right side. What about clening the jets? any diy on that or can someone help with what that entails

Old 07-18-2008, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Juggalo_X

does it idol at all?

first off fix that fuel leak its dangerous then i would investigate if your idol screw is turned all the way down. it also probably is not gettign enough fuel due to that leak.
It will idle only with the choke on

Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 PM

The float lifts a needle that allows fuel into the bowl . If the seat is dirty or the float doesn't move freely then it can get stuck. This allows the fuel to overfill the bowl and run out the overflow. It also severely inhibits correct metering of the fuel by the rest of the carb. If you pull the sparkplugs out you will see which carb is delivering too much fuel and flooding which cylinders(s). The float must be able to move up and down freely and the seat must be clean.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:07 PM

Sometimes the floats will have a small crack in them that you can't even see. Take the floats out and see if they FLOAT in a small bowl of gas. If they sink to the bottom, you need a new one. Good luck!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 AM

mine was doing the same thing - check the float heights (you might want to check out an earlier thread of mine - I'm a first timer with these so I had a number of questions that the members here were very helpful with).

also re choke, again had the same problem, causing the engine to get flooded. took the choke (bystarter valve - that's what honda calls it) out to clean them. I was able to do this with the carbs still assembled as a unit - it's tight, but it can be done. The bystarter valves and springs, bores all looked cleaned but I hit them with carb cleaner anyway. Re-assembled and it's worked great after that. no morefear when starting the bike, I can adjust idleto my heart's content

Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM

dfrte