F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Will not stay running, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will not stay running, Help!

I have maxed my knowlege base and need some help. Ok here is the Hx.
Suddend onset of not starting.
The fuel pump would not come on when the ingition was switched on.
Tested fuel pump and it works fine.
Tested pressure and its great.
Removed the relays and replaced themand then the bike worked for a day.
Next day no start.
Replaced relays with new ones and its still not working.
The bike will run as long as the starter switch is kepted depressed. If I depress the stater switch halfway I can hear the pump come on and build to pressure and I can also feel both relays clicking on.When I releasethe stater switch the bike dies.
side stand switch working.
starter switch wires intact.
Tested all the fuses.
So what am I missing? Any Ideas? Tx Steve

Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Will not stay running, Help!

Does it turn over but not fire? I remember reading about this once before but can't recall what they did to fix it. Use the search function at the top of the page and do some looking for it. Sorry I can't help you out more.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM

Yeah this also sounds really familliar but I can't remember what was.

One of the main things that keeps the fuel pump from priming is the bank angle sensor. Another thing would be the kill switch (and those two componets are inter-connected since you have to reset the BAS with the KS when it becomes activated).

I'd start there. It's probably something really stupid like a small amount of corrosion on an electrical pin somewhere.

Welcome to the forum btw man. We'll get to the bottom of it.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:27 PM

holy poosikles..... i have not been on this forum for over a year and its the craziest coincidence to come across this post.

dude, i had the same problem a while back. it turned out to be a short in a turn signal. a poor ground connection or a short in the wiring will give you this type of situation where you will not hear the fuel pump prime but its possible to have the bike crank when you hold down the ignition.
just to test out this crazy theory, play with the fuses. take out one by one and then try to start the bike as you normally would until you are able to get the bike running on its own. I recommend you take out the running light fuse and see if the bike cranks. if it does then you my friend have a short some where. good luck!

Edit:
also, i remember someone had this happen and it turned out to be a problem with the head light wiring.
in either case, it seems to be an electrical bug.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:47 PM

LOL that's awesome. This place is like a soap oprah: you can stop watching for years, and then flip on the TV on some random day and not miss a thing.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 PM

Ok What is the BAS and KS?
The bike turns over and stays running when the starter switch is held in. As soon as you release the start switch it dies. The fuel pump dose not come on when you turn the ignition on. It dose come on when you hold the starter switch in. I took the computer out today and swaped it with a friends....their bike ran fine.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoesa

Ok What is the BAS and KS?
The bike turns over and stays running when the starter switch is held in. As soon as you release the start switch it dies. The fuel pump dose not come on when you turn the ignition on. It dose come on when you hold the starter switch in. I took the computer out today and swaped it with a friends....their bike ran fine.
bas=bank angle sensor
ks=kick stand

dude just read my post, it a bit more on point then what the other have stated

Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM

The bike dose crank and run.Only with the ignition switch depresed.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: ConeyIsland#1

dude, i had the same problem a while back. it turned out to be a short in a turn signal. a poor ground connection or a short in the wiring will give you this type of situation where you will not hear the fuel pump prime but its possible to have the bike crank when you hold down the ignition.
are we not speaking of the same situation or am I misreading something?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:09 PM

I think I know the issue, if your bike only runs when the starter is pressed, you need a new starter/kill switch. Probably just worn out. I just put one in my friends bike last night. Took about two hours total time, had to take off the gas tank and the air box to get to the throttle cables. That would be my best guess. It cost about 25 bucks used on ebay.

As for a soap opera, with all the sh*t we see and hear on here, its more like a bunch of re-runs. Lol

Quick Reply: Will not stay running, Help!