Thinking of switching up bikes...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking of switching up bikes...

I'm currently on an RC-51 and am currently considering switching over to an inline 4. Although I would love it if I could spend my days riding canyon roads and track days, I find that I spend a majority of time just doing "commuter" riding, i.e. highways/around town. The chicken strips I've got on my tires can attest to that, unfortunately. Although this RC-51 does take a step up from my previous '01 R1 in that it's fuel injected, I've had the itch to get on a more "modern" bike and one that has more travel-friendly ergos. I could ride for hours on end on the R1 take a small break and ride for hours more but I'm hurting if I'm on the RC-51 for anything over an hour or so. In a more perfect world, I'd just buy a CBR1kRR and have them both in the garage, but this world is less than perfect. I know any of the more modern inline-4 liter sportbikes doesn't have the greatest commuter ergos, but I hear it's preferable to what the RC offers.

I'd also like a bike that "feels" light as well. The RC-51's great when it's long sweepers, but it gets troublesome trying to flick it back and forth. Also, any real-world dyno would suggest that even though the RC's a v-twin, it's more like a muted inline-4 in its delivery of its torque. It's also a battle to ride the RC in anything but a "quicker" pace because of the on/off clutch

So in a nutshell, I'm looking for smoother throttle response, more forgiving clutch action, lighter "feel", more comfy ergos, all the while retaining the sportbike stance. It's great having a unique bike that other people talk about, but I could give a crap about the whole unique thing anymore. You gotta figure there are so many more I-4 bikes on the road as compared to V-2 bikes for a reason.

Any input would be helpful. I'm still debating all the pros and cons of making this move right now.

As she stands now:

Old 06-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '03 RC51 and loved it but when I got my '05 Repsol the difference was like night and day. I never did get the suspension to my liking on the RC but it was no problem at all with the 1KRR, and of course power delivery (and more of it) and general rideability was much better.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As an RC51 owner & a CBR owner, I think I have a good perspective on this.

While the RC51 is invigorating in its own right, in heavy commuting type traffic for reasons you mention, it is less than ideal compared to my CBR for the task. I tend to use my CBR as more of a daily-rider due to a couple of points. First, gas mileage is a major consideration. I tend to get 50 more miles per tank w/ my CBR vs RC51. W/ high gas prices, that is very significant to me. Next, is that flickability aspect in traffic that you mentioned. While constant clutching in traffic & city riding will be necessary w/ any bike, I understand the clutch/throttle response you mention w/ the RC. It can be less preferable for constant traffic compared to other bikes.

While the ergos don't bother me like they do some other riders, I definitely understand your displeasure w/ them. If a bike isn't comfortable to you, then that just hastens the desire to move to one that will be better suited for your needs. For a primary "commuter" like you say, that is a huge aspect to consider.

I like to compare the RC51 to the P51, in that, neither have creature comforts but are built for the thrill & specific purpose. And, that isn't to provide comfortable transport for commuting. However, no matter what the thrill, sometimes the need for comfort just outweighs the thrill.

You seem to have already been thru the pros & cons process or mostly already. While I agree that the RC51 is a modern classic, if its not right for your individual needs, then switching to a more comfortable/more modern daily-rider bike is probably the best choice for you.