Radar Detectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar Detectors

Anyone have a radar detector on their scoot? Considering buying one but would like some real world feedback on whether they are worth it or not and which one might be better

Old 05-26-2006, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Radar Detectors

I have the bell express cordless. It fits into my jacket pocket and has an earpiece that I put in my helmet. It takes 2 AA batteries, but when they get low it's making the x band sound nonstop. I think it works pretty good, although I'm still carefull when driving.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-27-2006, 03:15 AM

Thanks for the input...

Old 05-27-2006, 09:43 AM

Threw mine away, by the time it warns you that you are being tracked it's too late to react and you are already busted. Now the laser jammers are another story! If they are legal where you are from that's the way to go. They can't get a lock on you and thus can't determine your speed. Pricy but worth it if you are always above the limit.

Old 05-27-2006, 09:53 AM

I had a Bell Express last year and put it in the drawer after a couple weeks. I found all the false alarms, the earpiece and the fact that I kep fidgeting with it while riding was become a real distaction and the sound of it in my ear drove me nuts ...so I stopped using it.

Old 05-27-2006, 08:41 PM

i have a bell car detector velcroed to my windscreen. ive had it for about 4 years (its time for a new one), it has saved my *** too many times to count. I wired it directly from the battery and got some adhesive vecro, bam, installed. i have no problems receiving from behind or in front, and unlike the ones the other guys have in their pocket, this one is right in front of you so if its picking up x band or some other crap, you can it silent (and it makes noise again once the threat is gone). the bell has a huge speaker on the side, they sell them at circuit city, about 100 bucks or so, its payed its self hundreds of times. and i can hear it up till about 80mph, and if im tucked, its right in my site and i can hear it past 80. only down side ive ever found is everyone wants you to lead because you got the thing.. i recomend it.. good luck

Old 05-28-2006, 03:36 AM

Save your money and buy a Valentine V1. This detector is the gold standard of radar detectors and is what most serious riders use on their bikes. They are pricey, but can be swapped for new versions as they come out. Check ebay for used ones. Look for version 1.7 and later.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:17 PM

Bought a Radar detector. Mounted it beautifully on my tank,...............yes...........Now I am invincible!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2006, 05:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.radarjammer.com/

this scares me

Old 06-05-2006, 08:01 PM

Radar Roy is right, the Rocky Mountain Radar Jammer is crap, it doesnt work. However most of you reading this message have a weapon against radar. Its the size of your vehicle. I will explain

1st off i am a police officer and have 3 different types of speed measuring devices. I have a handheld radar (K band), in car radar (K-band), and a Laser. Radar works off by targeting the biggest and most reflective targer. Your weapon is this (your size). to defeat the police radar here is a couple ways.

to defeat the officer sitting stationary clocking you coming toward his position. As soon as you see the officer apply the breaks and pull as close to the vehilce in the adjacent lane. this will cause the radar to display the cars speed and not yours. so to apply this principle all the time just ride close to other vehicles. now the exception to that rule. some radars have the ablity to track several vehilces. this is cause fastest mode. that allows the officer to track the biggest vehilce and fastest (ie your bike). However staying next to vehilces will camoflage your speed and it will make it harder to track your speed.

so with that said, if you have a radar detector this warns you and allows you to slide close to other vehicles in time to avoid the ticket. i would suggest the Passport 8500, this is a sweet radar and just like anything else you get what you pay for. As far as the Valantine 1, it dont really see the reason why you need to know what direction the beam is comming from. Being an operator of radar i will explain why that feature is useless. in perfect conditions it would work but other than a desert this is what happens. once the radar is activated the beam leaves the gun and travels until it hits an object and is reflected back to the gun. so with that said imagine the gun is fired from the rear of your position. some of the beams will strike buildings and signs in front of your postion and reflect to the front of your vehilce. get the picture.