600RR vs. 1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600RR vs. 1000RR

I'm looking at purchasing my first bike. I don't have alot of experience riding. I ridden many harleys, rode 600 and 1000 CBR's, 600 Yamaha, etc. but never owned one. In other words, not alot of time in the seat. I've narrowed it down to the 600 and 1000. Of course, I like the looks of the 1000 better. I keep reading that the "beginner" should go with the 600. Why is that? Is there really that much power/ handling difference between the two under 70mph? Is it the temptation to go fast? Is the throttle that much difference that you'll crash because it's "touchy?" I'm not a crazy driver/ rider. I have total respect for powerful vehicles. I've owned/ driven many sports cars.....which may not be a comparison. I plan to use the bike to go to work and back. I rode my friends 03 "1000" CBR last night and, YES! It has so much more power that I can EVER USE.....but that is probably the same for 95% of buyers of this kind of bike. I gotta believe that most buyers of these bikes buy for the "wow" factor and attention. I can't imagine going full throttle with these bikes. I rode it to get a feel....i kept it below 50, but i can see someone getting tickets VERY easy with these things. Again, I have to imagine the 600 has to be the same way. Help out a potental buyer.......thanks!

Old 05-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 600RR vs. 1000RR

Honestly, I don't buy in to the "get a 600 for your first bike" mentality. You can kill yourself just as easily on a 250 as you can a 1K. Maturity, wrist control and respect for the machine is whats going to keep you from killing yourself until you build up your riding skill. I had a GSX-750R for my first bike and moved up to a CBR1000RR after 2 years. I never felt as though the 750 was too much bike for me and I don't feel like the CBR is either. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with and as I was told "get as much bike as you can afford".

Old 05-20-2006, 03:46 PM

dont kid yourself that with either bike you will keep your speed under 70. it is just not possible. there will come a time when you pull the throttle all the way back, it is just there calling your name... with the 600 you have to keep it high in the rpms to keep the power going but with the 1000 it has power all over the place. the 1000 is the best choice if the extra cash is not the issue, just learn some wrist restraint.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:35 PM

ORIGINAL: sidthafish

Honestly, I don't buy in to the "get a 600 for your first bike" mentality. You can kill yourself just as easily on a 250 as you can a 1K. Maturity, wrist control and respect for the machine is whats going to keep you from killing yourself until you build up your riding skill. I had a GSX-750R for my first bike and moved up to a CBR1000RR after 2 years. I never felt as though the 750 was too much bike for me and I don't feel like the CBR is either. It's all a matter of what you feel comfortable with and as I was told "get as much bike as you can afford".
+1

I completely agree. I bought my first bike a week ago. The only 2 bikes I have riden was a old 125 yamaha dirt bike when I was 14 and like a regular street bike when I was 16....thats it. I found a 2005 CBR 1000RR for $8300 with less than 2000 on it. I will agree with kylehannigan, even though I was scared of the bike, on my way home I hit 130 on the interstate. Yes, I know stupid, but I did. But I have also seen alot of people thinking that the 600's are beginner bikes because of the way people talk about them to be your first. Hvae been many cases that the bike got the best of them because of this. A few guys that I ride with go down the interstate on the rear tire running 80 and 90 so they are not as "weak" as some make them out to be. What ever your decesion, RESPECT is what depends on what happenes.

Old 05-21-2006, 01:25 AM

Thanks for the replies, people. I think I'm leaning towards the 1000 the more I think about it. Any other opinions?

Old 05-22-2006, 09:14 PM

If you plan on traveling to work and back, the 1000 is way more comfy. Not ergo's but as far as not having to keep the thing spinning so high.

The bikes really dont matter bro, its all rider. I use to school 1000s in the canyons on my 05 gixxer 6. keep in mind a 6 is a potential 10 second bike too.

Anyway, I dont agree with starting on the biggest bike possible. I feel you should start small and gather the riding skills that you can only pic up from practice and experience, then move up to a bigger bike.

You will have more fun on a 600 for a while because you will be able to use more of its power confidently. A 1000 on the other hand is deceptively fast, requires alittle more turning effort and requires you to watch the rear tire on hard exits(high side city, LOL).

Honestly, your going to get what you want anyway, this is just my opinion. Just be careful on what ever you choose. You can die on either bike. Just use restraint and have fun bro

Old 05-22-2006, 11:15 PM

well you said you have prior riding. You should be fine on a 1000. you have the basic skills needed and you will be fine. but like someone else said you can get in trouble realy quick on the 1k. My first bike was a 600 and just like everyone else they thought it was the best thing going ( no disrespect to anyone out there with 600) but there is no replacement for displacement, and once you ride the 1k there will not be any going back. anyone starting with a 600 and moved up knows exaclty what im talking about.

get the 1k suka [:@]

Old 05-23-2006, 05:53 PM

I just bought the 06 1kRR and couldn't be happier. I was an avid rider when I was younger and am finally back in the saddle. Several people have said it, and I will say it again too; its all about wrist restraint. All of the major manufacturers make bikes that are simply too powerful for the street and for most riders in general. They do this because they know the adrenaline junkies like me will buy them. I had several dealers tell me that the 1krr is better for the street, as the 600 has such a high rpm power band, i rode both, and probably would have been just as happy riding back in forth to work on either. It's all about personal preference, budget, and what you intend to do with the bike. If I were going to spend alot of time at the track, I'd have probably bought the 600, but since I will probably rarely see a track day, I decided that the torque of the 1krr better suit my needs. Which ever bike you get, remember they are both seriously more powerful than you think. Take the time to learn to ride, even take a class or two if you can. Good luck on your decision and hope you get your new scoot soon, I know I am certainly happy I did.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:08 PM
jer

if ya got the bucks get the 1000. i started out from scratch on a 750 and moved up to a 1000 in 2 yr. just use your head AT ALL TIMES when riding.

Old 05-23-2006, 08:14 PM

I know I can practice wrist restraint....that won't be a problem. The other downfall of buying a 600 (talking to 1000 owners), would be that I would lose money trading or selling to upgrade to the 1000. That's assuming that I got "comfortable" with the smaller bike and wanted more low end torque....which is what I would prefer anyways. This is just like cars.....no one buys them for the top end....they want the fastest 1/4 mi, best looking, sports car they can afford. The top end is nice to know, but I know I'll never experience it. Is there anyone out there that wishes they had never bought the 1000 and had kept their 600? Is this a "stupid" question?

Quick Reply: 600RR vs. 1000RR