CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

clip type links rock. i would never go back to a rivet link with how easy i've had it with the clip link.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:02 AM

replaced the gasket on tuesday d^mn thing is still leaking oil while on the side stand. When i look at the cover it looks to be leaking on the top left hand 10mm bolt. But I also noticed that when i had the cover off it was cracked a bit on the inside from where the previous owner dropped the bike on its side and the bracket that hold the plastic cover pressed into the crankcase cover a bit thus cracking it on the inside. anyways gonna trace it this weekend i guess

Old 08-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bio248
clip type links rock. i would never go back to a rivet link with how easy i've had it with the clip link.
Ordered new pins for my chain tool today. $18.52 w/shipping, a clip link @ $4.99 from any local shop is cheaper and quicker than grinding and riveting and risking a tight link.

I think I have 2 links in the top of my tool box.

In the end the best way to split a chain that is riveted is to grind the pins and use a small chisel between the plates. I always end up doing this after I break my pins. I should start there and stop wasting money on pins.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:39 AM

On my ride to work today found a small patch of sand while in a lean around a roundabout, didnt end real bad, need a new rear rim, new left mirror, and new clutch master. Got some scratches on her and some scrapes on me, but not too bad. Gonna go see the doc later and make sure im still alright. starting to get a bit sore now.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sand on a tar road can be a major problem - always seems to build up on the corners.....
Good you made it back without too many injuries or damage.
Give us a list of parts you need and let's see what can be found....
Bad luck, Fox !

Old 08-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to hear you came out relatively okay man. As Pete said we'll help ya find parts

Old 08-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys, yea i am glad it wassnt too bad, plus there were no cars behind me when i bit it. So far just bumps and bruses with one small patch of rash. Well the parts i need are all on the left side, rear turn signal(stock), mirror(stock), rear rim, foot peg(drivers), handle bar with clutch master and clutch handle. I am sure i can get most parts local, but if anyone has spare parts for cheap id appriciate the help. I think my bike got jealous of the 2001 FZ1 i scooped up last night. Maybe shes worried she'll be replaced or somthin. Also if any one has the round side covers or plastics that would be awsome. I will post this in the wanted section as well.

Last edited by outlawfox13; 08-18-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the 1990 up on the lift today ........pulled the shifter off to clean and paint .....
before reassembly with a longer bolt that can be locked with a lock nut from the rear
good bye thread locker !

Also pulled both pipes off ready for the Vipers I have lined up ... but my idea to fab
the left side link pipe .....well.......... lets just say needs a different plan on action
....first attempt was a collapsed mangled mess lol..... oh well !

Guess I need to pack the pipe with sand or dense dry portland cement powder before bending

Edit : also started into the DanMoto 3 D adjustable handle bars this evening ! The existing
VFR Bars will be up for grabs at a later date !

Last edited by Sprock; 08-21-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:26 AM

Stripped the rear caliper down and rebuilt it. Cleaned up the front ones.

Also managed to get hold of the dash surround panels in black not red but it looks ok. Just 1 more dash panel to get.

Just waiting to MOT it then when the 1st of September comes I'm going to tax it.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crap day

Took the bike to have rear puncture fixed (self-tapping screw tapped itself into rear tyre) on Friday morning.
After that I rode to the car park near work and parked her up. I bent down to check the puncture repair and listened for hissing.
For a few seconds it was quiet but then I heard hissing - but it wasn't coming from the tyre.
It was coming from behind the right side fairing and steaming green coolant was spraying out on to the floor.
The leak was between the short length of hose and the hose joint below and behind the thermostat. I tried tightening the clamp; it kept on compressing the hose but the coolant still leaked.
Had to have the bike towed home through London traffic. Reinforced why I have a bike!
I reckon the hose joint (plastic part that connects three hoses) must have cracked so I ordered a new one.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?