CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Stick coils for the CBR1000F?

Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am taking her out to pick up some bike parts for my son and will see. I could do a 'How To' but it wasn't my idea and don't want credit for it. I did take pictures along the way and can post them when I get back. I kept my factory wiring and plugged the stick loom in. Once the loom is built, it takes what every time you need to lift the tank and plug it in.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ I could do a 'How To' but it wasn't my idea and don't want credit for it. I did take pictures along the way and can post them when I get back. I kept my factory wiring and plugged the stick loom in. Once the loom is built, it takes what every time you need to lift the tank and plug it in.[/QUOTE]

As i said once the loom is done it is plug and play!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Once my new valve cover gasket comes in for the 93 (my commuter bike) I'll be adding
the stick coils plus one more ViperRaceCan (back to duals) and the rejetted carb's with a
sync and balancer adjust.

Oh and the SebastianBear is the one who fired up this thread and I'm getting a set to him
downunder - be in the mail pronto !!!! I expect. Surprisingly cheap to post downunder !

so AnyHoooooooo

We should make SebastianBear do the How To : since he's to blame for all this stick coil talk !

And he did offer too did he not ? ....lol

Everyone agree ??

Last edited by Sprock; 06-15-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Props to Sebastion as the originator

I'll drink to that

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 PM
Registered Users

just picked up some 06 CBR1000RR sticks coils w/ harness for $55.. u guys right they are goin up lol .. and what exactly should i be buying for the rubbers to go around them so the debree doesnt go in there? i herd a trip to Lowes .. but what exactly am i getting there? id cut up the old ones to not spend the money .. but i always think about the " just in case " senerio

Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OK, seeing how everyone is chomping at the bit, here's some info on the stick coil job.

I picked up 4 packs of Rubber Grommets-[LINK] at Lowe's hardware store.
While there I picked up 2 packs (2/pk) of Rubber Washers-[LINK].

I used the rubber washers with the small hole so that I could find center easy and scribe a 3/4 inch circle using pointed dividers. Then I used a razor knife and rotated the washer around cutting the hole.

I slid a Grommet on a stick and checked the depth in the plug well and made adjustments. I slid the washer on. Then I used that stick as a gauge to install the washers and grommets on the other sticks.

The wiring of the sticks is in series NOT parallel. Wired in parallel will produce more amperage but lack voltage. Wired in series will produce lower amperage but will produce higher voltage that will be stepped up to make the hot spark. From that I will tell you now that the bike will not run in parallel.

On the loom I used 3 male 16-14 Spade-[LINK] connectors, one each for #1&4, #2&3 and ground. I did solder the wire to the spade connectors and then crimped. I also soldered the series connections between the sticks. Pop the tank and plug and play.

You don't need the spade connectors, you can solder those joints. I used them so that I could go back to my original coils if I didn't like the sticks. I love the sticks and may go back in and solder those 3 joins for better dependability. They were spade joins on the original coils so.....like who cares. It's just an option.

They got rid of my low speed stumble and the bike pulls hard to red now.

Sprock, maybe you hit Lowe's and send some rubber parts to SebastianBear.

Attached Thumbnails Stick coils for the CBR1000F?-cimg0372.jpg   Stick coils for the CBR1000F?-cimg0378.jpg   Stick coils for the CBR1000F?-cimg0374.jpg   Stick coils for the CBR1000F?-stick-wires0001.jpg  

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 06-16-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:34 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This found on ebay.

May help clean up an install

Denso Pencil Coil Connector Set CBR / GSXR / Hayabusa | eBay

Also a question. Are these coils Nippon Denso 129700's ?

If so, googling the the supplier part number turns up that these coils are used in everything from bikes to snowmachines to PWC's and tractors

Edit: I'm beginning to believe that the second set of four numbers indicates it's application. Seems to have something to do with its physical size (but and I'm guessing here, they're all electronically the same) Example '02-'03 954RR's use a 129700-3881. The 1000's use a 4840

Hopefully this will help everyone broaden their searches

Here's a link to an EbayUK seller that gives an application list for the 129700-4840

4x HONDA CBR1000 RR STICK 129700-4840-JO484 COIL ML504 | eBay

Last edited by wooferdog; 06-16-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM

Yup we owe one to Sebatian'I say we should give him the rank of seniro member right away ot as group tip in to pay his sipping or coils wouldd not a mount to much and we would say thanks!

What do you think?

Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No worries Seb will be hanging for some time I reckon. We all get to be members
with time i and help and contributions rendered - and hell yeah he's made a good
contribution here with the SC stuff imo

Old 06-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey Thanks Guys,

And yes, once I get a nice bike in my hot little hands, I tend to farkle its nuts off!

Stick coils first, then probably braided lines and 6 pot front brakes! Also would like to replace the exhaust system - but with something with a bit of a growl and keep the standard covers. I love the look of the standard bike - meaty thoroughbred with a hint of malice.
Still planning my strategy for the upgrades. Just a littlely, but when I had the fairing off, I put alloy mesh on the inside of the large vents in the middle fairing. With the red paint looks like a Ferrari tipped on its side!

Next sunny day, I'll take some pictures and post them up. Have to clean the bike now though, as my partner is getting her license and we went riding in the rain yesterday. And I CAN say, even in the wet, the 1000F was an absolute hoot round the twisties.

Cheers, SB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stick coils for the CBR1000F?