CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

No power

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power

All:

I have a 1987 CBR1000F with about 26K. Just puchased the bike after it was sitting 2 years. I have the bike so it will idle well, but when I try to ride it on the road it has no power.

I have completed the following steps and need some help!!

- Removed and bench cleaned the carbs. Checked the float levels and replaced the gasket sets.
- Replaced all 4 intake rubbers
- Replaced all 4 spark plugs
- Checked out ok: timing, coils, etc

When the bike is running it has the classic valve chain rattle. My next step is to check the compression settings on all 4 cylinders, and then check the valves. Given that the bike will idle after warming up, and will rev up pretty nice I am puzzled.

The only other factor is that the bike is jammed with california emissions. I have thought about pulling all this off, and putting on block off plates, but I am not sure this is causing the problem.

I have checked the fuel pump and it is working, and I have the same symptoms when I gravity feed the gas to the carbs. Any quick way to check if the carbs are still dirty and the bike is simply not getting enough gas.

Been working on this since December. Any help, or someone to share the pain would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Default RE: No power

Well hey, an easy way to see if you have possotive gas flow (im pretty the 87' 1000 are fuel injected like my 94 is) you can take off the suction line from the top end of the engine. Its the smaller hose connected to the res/off/on fuel line (take it off the engine) this may be a little dirty but your ganna have to put your mouth on the end of that smaller hose and suck (dont worry its just an air line) as doing so make sure the larger hose is off that lets the gas come from the tank to the carb (you only have to disconnect it from the tank not the carbs) when you suck a lot of gas should come out of the tank as if you just trund' on a water hose. If it does then your good gas wise coming from the tank. As for the carbs you can unscrew the clean out screw and let on set drain out and then tighten it back up and go to start the bike (as will not start till the carb is full) so after she starts then see if she drains again if so then your carbs are getting the required amont of gas. As for that ratteling noise yeah thats normal for these older honda sportbikes but it never hurts to check compression b/c if its 5psi less then what is should be you can nip that problem in the butt befor the rings melt to ither the pistions or the cylinder its self. But if she is ideling well and when you go to take off (if she move with out bogging out) and ride fairly nice i d check make sure your spark wires are not crisscrossed because that will cause missfire and lag the bike. and if thats not it then your emmisions are causing the bike to drive slower then what it should be doing as a HURRICAN they are made to move.....

Old 07-12-2007, 11:43 PM

In case it pulls better when you apply the choke thatwill indicatea lean situation. Checking that you have the proper valve clearances is also important, and should alwaysbe done before replacing any cosly parts unless they are proven to be defect.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:15 AM

I agree with R1000!!! I think the bike is running lean!!

Old 07-13-2007, 04:40 PM

CBR1000fking you rock!

Turned out it was the spark plug wire order. I was checking every detail but the ones right in front of me!Was able to ride the bike about 40 miles today! First time I have been able to do that since I bought it!! Thank you soooooooo much!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:32 PM

Yeah thats what i kind of thought it was soon as you said it would idel fine i had the same situation not to long ago but on my new cbr1000rr i am pretty good with the mechanical parts of the bike but when it comes to the electrical im not that great except whe it come to rewiring and small things such as the spark plugs but glad to be a help ya!! enjoy the road...